2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Improving mpg in the 5.9L? IMPOSSIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 04:43 AM
Bens5.9l4x4
Rookie

I must say though everybody keeps saying "if you are worried about mpg why buy a truck?" But what about the guys like me. I use my truck everyday to make a living I couldn't do it with a car and sure as **** not with my feet. But money has slowed down due to winter so every extra mile I get is worth it! So I can completely understand people asking how to get better mileage or if they even can

Old 12-19-2011 | 08:28 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Bens5.9l4x4
I must say though everybody keeps saying "if you are worried about mpg why buy a truck?" But what about the guys like me. I use my truck everyday to make a living I couldn't do it with a car and sure as **** not with my feet. But money has slowed down due to winter so every extra mile I get is worth it! So I can completely understand people asking how to get better mileage or if they even can
I agree with what you say but for every one person in your boat there seems to be 10 threads a week started by people who buy these trucks expecting way to much as far as gas mileage who end up selling them a short time later... a lot of people it seems don't do their homework...

Old 12-19-2011 | 08:29 AM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Just to clarify 4.10 or 4.56 will burn more gas in all around average daily driving conditions...it will be worse on the highway with higher rpm's at any given speed....(you willo have more power transfer to the ground though) now if you have larger than stock tires? yes, you want to pick 4.10 to go with 33's and 4.56 gears with 35" tires..
just to rehash some of the other things mentioned on some of the HUNDREDS of other MPG threads on here...
thermostat,.... there is some talk that a 180 stat will use more gas due to the computer wanting 185 degrees like the factory stat is set for..

o2 sensors... there lots of talk that these can not perform optimumly and still not throw codes... cheap fix $25 on ebay...

check the cat and see if its plugged... you can unscrew the o2 sensor before the cat and if the truck runs better it could be restricting flow....

Plenum gasket could be leaking...usually the truck burn additional oil when this happens ..I recommend a new gasket with shorter bolt and using the factory plate...some recommend spending more for thicker aluminum plate which allows for use or factory bolts (which were reported to be too long by Dodge) your choice.
full tune up usually helps ...even though there no engine light a tuneup sometimes makes a big diffence...

this isn't entirely true..

I get a LOT better mileage around town with 4.56:1 than I did with 3.92:1, but it absolutely gets worse on the highway.... I watched the gap close to where there is almost no gap between the two at times.

Old 12-19-2011 | 08:36 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by drewactual
this isn't entirely true..

I get a LOT better mileage around town with 4.56:1 than I did with 3.92:1, but it absolutely gets worse on the highway.... I watched the gap close to where there is almost no gap between the two at times.
yes thats why I said depending on conditions and weight , but it also depends on driving habits. if you drive on flat land with a light foot 3.55 can deliver better in the city as well... Overall dodge chose the 3.55 gears for stock setup because it delivers the best possible overall gas mileage with available stock drivetrain on a stock truck so....if you have more power than stock than 3.55 gears are even more likely to deliver higher gas mileage.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-19-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2011 | 09:28 AM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

+1 I mow lawns and shovel snow in the winter I use my truck all the time and a car or Dakota wouldn't cut it but I'm also a student at MATC for Auto Mechanic and have to drive 44 miles round trip 4 days a week im filling up twice a week at bout $80 a fill.

Old 12-19-2011 | 09:38 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by dodgeramit_10
+1 I mow lawns and shovel snow in the winter I use my truck all the time and a car or Dakota wouldn't cut it but I'm also a student at MATC for Auto Mechanic and have to drive 44 miles round trip 4 days a week im filling up twice a week at bout $80 a fill.
If the trucks really costing you 160 a week (=$640-760 a month) in gas than the smart decision would be to park it except for when your using it for work and hauling and Buy a cheap used 4 banger compact like many of use do here... you would still come out ahead.

Old 12-19-2011 | 10:21 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

maybe im mistaken, but didn't i recently read a thread about replacing the post cat o2 helps with mpg?

not sure what if any outcome came from it, but:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2643878

Last edited by blackbeasst; 12-19-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2011 | 10:25 AM
Moparman59
Rookie
Default A Believer.

I believe that a wholesale change of all lubricants to synthetic will gain you 1.5. new plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Throw on a new air filter. High flow cat, muffler and pipes.
Now if you start adding on anything else the cost of those add ons will never get your investment back in gas savings. How many tank fills would it take, to say, pay for a new throttle body. Or a cold air intake or a set of headers or a new canned tune? etc.
Unless you are planning keep the truck another 10 years, to get your investment back in savings, don't even go there! Just do the freshen up on the stock goodies and call it a day. Or buy a new HEMI! Surrounded by new DODGE metal.

Old 12-19-2011 | 10:26 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i don't see how a dakota would be much different than a ram as far a hauling things. its about the same as a ram with a short box. i guess it depends on the law mowers. my grandparents use to have no problem loading 2 push lawn mowers and 4 people into there 93 dodge caravan easily.

Old 12-19-2011 | 10:35 AM
Gary-L
Legend

As I always tell the kids here: Trucks are for hauling cargo, they are not for hauling ***. The best way to increase the fuel economy for a Ram pickup is proper maintenance and to buy a nice, used 4-banger for daily driving.

Quick Reply: Improving mpg in the 5.9L? IMPOSSIBLE!