2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Improving mpg in the 5.9L? IMPOSSIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 12:32 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Moparman59
Now if you start adding on anything else the cost of those add ons will never get your investment back in gas savings.
I don't know about that. If you can shave your per-mile fuel costs by just two cents, that's $200 saved per 10,000 miles. For example: If you got 12MPG yesterday, installed a $600 electric fan setup last night, and now get 13MPG, you'll break even at 30,000 miles.

Old 12-19-2011 | 12:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I don't know about that. If you can shave your per-mile fuel costs by just two cents, that's $200 saved per 10,000 miles. For example: If you got 12MPG yesterday, installed a $600 electric fan setup last night, and now get 13MPG, you'll break even at 30,000 miles.
Provided in that three years you don't have to do any repairs to your e-fan....

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Provided in that three years you don't have to do any repairs to your e-fan....
Also provided that you don't slash your arm open getting the old fan out, bringing an expensive ER visit. And also that you don't contract MRSA or Clostridium difficile while at the hospital with your slashed arm and get taken out of work or put into the ground by it.

Ya rolls yer dice ya takes yer chances.

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Also provided that you don't slash your arm open getting the old fan out, bringing an expensive ER visit. And also that you don't contract MRSA or Clostridium difficile while at the hospital with your slashed arm and get taken out of work or put into the ground by it.

Ya rolls yer dice ya takes yer chances.
I call that the Monday of a Three Day Weekend

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:13 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

why do you got to focus on the all the bad things. i got a dual rad fan assembly from a dodge caravan for $30. it works great on my 81 when i actually need it. with both fans hooked up i would guess it pulls about 30 amp at start up and 20amp while running or if i only run 1 fan it only pulls about 10 amp. i have not really seen a mileage increase since i installed it but i have liked that it warms up a lot quicker in the cold winter weather.

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:23 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
As I always tell the kids here: Trucks are for hauling cargo, they are not for hauling ***. The best way to increase the fuel economy for a Ram pickup is proper maintenance and to buy a nice, used 4-banger for daily driving.
I fully agree with you, and this is the primary reason I have a moto.. that rascal gets 55mpg's.. However, there isn't a thing wrong with trying to maximize the economy of these rigs.. Funny thing about performance modding: it most often equates to saved fuel if you can keep your foot out of it..

The mods that offer added torque will get you to your desired speed easier than a struggling truck.. That is a good thing, and if your intention isn't racing around like a fool, you'll actually save some change at the pump..

this is also my befuddlement by viewing a lot of the posts here- it seems to me, and it's just my perception- that the focus on these things should be improving off-the-line low end grunt.. I love mods that can do that.. these engines struggle in their OE condition to do that effectively, and God help you have a load.. I don't grasp the concepts of speed or top end gogo.. We'll never compete with even a neon in a appreciable road race.. why try? They'll never compete with us for hauling cargo or pulling something- it would be laughable if they did..

I don't know about that. If you can shave your per-mile fuelcosts by just two cents, that's $200 saved per 10,000 miles. For example: If you got 12MPG yesterday, installed a $600 electric fan setup last night, and now get 13MPG, you'll break even at 30,000 miles.
I love the e-fan mod.. I have about $150~$175 in mine, and the only thing that has happened negatively is that I blew a fuse once.. In town, I bet it kicked my mileage up 1~1.5 MPG's.. that is huge.. on the highway, it doesn't make one bit of difference, though..

I'm repeating myself ad nasium, but I got a huge kick out of the added 'directly off the line' performance kick of this mod.. I'm thinking an engine with a clutch fan catches up pretty quick- like, around 1100~1200RPM's, but that isn't where I needed it.. It delivers a pep that wasn't there before from idle (650rpm) to around second gear (1100rpm'ish w/ 4.56's+ 35" skins).. I am willing to slap money on the table we're talking 20~30#'s of torque freed up by that e-fan.. this goes directly back to my comment about 'getting the load rolling' more efficiently.. Behind gears, this is my single favorite mod.. I assure you, it was easily the best bang for the buck..

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:36 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual
I fully agree with you, and this is the primary reason I have a moto.. that rascal gets 55mpg's.. However, there isn't a thing wrong with trying to maximize the economy of these rigs.. Funny thing about performance modding: it most often equates to saved fuel if you can keep your foot out of it..

The mods that offer added torque will get you to your desired speed easier than a struggling truck.. That is a good thing, and if your intention isn't racing around like a fool, you'll actually save some change at the pump..

this is also my befuddlement by viewing a lot of the posts here- it seems to me, and it's just my perception- that the focus on these things should be improving off-the-line low end grunt.. I love mods that can do that.. these engines struggle in their OE condition to do that effectively, and God help you have a load.. I don't grasp the concepts of speed or top end gogo.. We'll never compete with even a neon in a appreciable road race.. why try? They'll never compete with us for hauling cargo or pulling something- it would be laughable if they did..

People wonder about me when I preach better low-end torque. A truck posting a gazillion horse-puppies under the hood doesn't mean squat if it takes the damned thing 4 miles to get moving while hauling a load.

One of the best engines for the above was the straight-6 gasser (Ford's and the Dodge slant-6). Can't kill 'em, and they were always known as the Poor Man's Diesel.

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:49 PM
Bens5.9l4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't see how a dakota would be much different than a ram as far a hauling things. its about the same as a ram with a short box. i guess it depends on the law mowers. my grandparents use to have no problem loading 2 push lawn mowers and 4 people into there 93 dodge caravan easily.
Well I can promise you this if I put a load in a dakota like I do my truck id bust leave springs and more. I wish I had a pic of some of the loads I've had in this thing.

Old 12-19-2011 | 02:50 PM
Bens5.9l4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bens5.9l4x4
Well I can promise you this if I put a load in a dakota like I do my truck id bust leave springs and more. I wish I had a pic of some of the loads I've had in this thing.
Ill have pics soon

Old 12-19-2011 | 02:58 PM
Bens5.9l4x4
Rookie

Quick Reply: Improving mpg in the 5.9L? IMPOSSIBLE!