2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

While I'm at It...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
RamNJeep
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im currently in the middle of the same thing, I did the plenum fix from Hughes, modded intake, cut TB horns, 180 thermostat, front O2, and timing chain. I also went with a new cam (low end, towing type) from Hughes #9204 since is was an extra $100 after the core return. Hoping this will improve mileage a bit. "while your in there..."

I would also recommend a new coolant temp sensor since the fuel economy is also based on this (along with the O2 sensors). Also get a decent set of plugs while you're doing the cap, rotor, wires, coil...

I also had my heads off, and decided on rings and rod bearings. pan gasket had to be replaced when i pulled the timing cover off so again "while I was there..." Pacesetter longtubes going back on which are better than the manifolds, and getting rid of the restrictive factory Y-pipe. Your budget is always a driving factor but "while your in there..."

Last edited by RamNJeep; 04-18-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by avpaulb2
I'm going forward with the plenum because I've notice some oil residue inside the TB.
Another good question would be... how can I tell if my TB has an EGR sensor? I don't think mine does... just wondering because I have access to a couple of scrap-yard TB's. One has EGR, one does not.
Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
Um... I dont think any of the TB's on these trucks have an "egr sensor".... for that matter, I've never heard of an egr sensor on any vehicle.... I might be wrong though

Ahhh, I see what happened: you are confusing the terms "throttle body" (TB) and "intake manifold"

Just for future reference, there is no such thing as an "egr sensor" (not to my knowledge, anyway) rather; EGR is an engine system that died with the implementation of OBD2 compliance mandate (or shortly thereafter)

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation... basically, exhaust was recirculated through the intake to reduce any unburned hydrocarbons. Its performance (and ability to set a CEL) was measured by o2/vacuum fluctuations and MAP/IAT input (that's how I understand it).

A throttle body has nothing to do with EGR, but the intake manifold does.

Short answer: 97 was a transitional year when some manifolds were produced with EGR, some without. here are some links to pics of Intake mani's with/without EGR ports:

With: (notice the doolamahicky on the top right hand corner of the manifold)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...Q5fAccessories

Without: (has the hole, but nothing in it... best pic I could find):http://www.hughesengines.com/Tools/P...=HUG%205514-RA

So now ya know

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 04-18-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Think 96 was the year for that.... may have carried over to 97.... My 96 had a block off plate where the egr valve would go...... I have never gotten an egr code either.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think 96 was the year for that.... may have carried over to 97.... My 96 had a block off plate where the egr valve would go...... I have never gotten an egr code either.
yup, my 1996 did not have EGR.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 AM
avpaulb2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I figured that one out already too. The manifolds at the salvage yard all have mounting for the EGR system "doomahicky", or "thingamabobber". I should be able to just plug it up.

I've never quite figured out why I always reverse TB and intake manifold... I know what they are!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That was my first thought on the matter as well, but all of the sources I could find state that it carried over as far as early 98, hence the EGR/non-EGR identification guide.

I've never seen one of these trucks set an EGR code, but I know it's possible for it to happen on EGR equipped cars (through experience with other, older vehicles). The performance evaluation part was explained to me by someone with a wealth of knowledge on subjects such as these (my uncle)... he could have been wrong though.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

I've never quite figured out why I always reverse TB and intake manifold... I know what they are!
LOL... I wasn't meaning to patronize, just to inform.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 AM
avpaulb2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Mad... No worries! I seriously get them backwards all the time. No idea why.

I'm no mechanic, believe me. But I like learning... which is why I bought the truck.

I appreciate all the help and advice! I'm hoping it keeps me from blowing my sh*% up! So far, so good!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I have found that C-4 works best, if that isn't available, dynamite is pretty good too. In a pinch ammonium nitrate, and diesel fuel will do the job.....

Oh, wait.... nevermind.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
That was my first thought on the matter as well, but all of the sources I could find state that it carried over as far as early 98, hence the EGR/non-EGR identification guide.

I've never seen one of these trucks set an EGR code, but I know it's possible for it to happen on EGR equipped cars (through experience with other, older vehicles). The performance evaluation part was explained to me by someone with a wealth of knowledge on subjects such as these (my uncle)... he could have been wrong though.
I still have a egr valve in my truck and it sets a code once a month.

Quick Reply: While I'm at It...