2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Boom goes the water pump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boom goes the water pump!

so i get home today to find a river when i open the door and step out. i crawl under the front of the truck and its just pissin out, i get some on my hand and i can smell the antifreeze. sure enough is all wet and just drippin from the bottom of the pump and runnin down from the top i think. so here is what i need from you guys. i need recommendations on what brand and what not. i dont need some superduty thing just oem spec. found a valvecraft for like 39 bucks from autozone i think. they have the pump,gasket,and lower hose for 55 bucks at the store right now that i can go pick up. so my question is really just, the timing chain. i know i have never changed it. and ill be like right there anyway, so what all does it consist of. special tools/parts etc.. and where should i get a timing set and what kind. thanks for the input, i need to know asap, so i can return this thing to service over the weekend.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

orieleys or whatever, has a oem timing set for 40 bucks, should i just get that?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got the comp cams double rollor for cheap still didnt install it. looking for time to do mine yet lol .. it is wise too do it though weather you get a stock one or not . also if your not going to keep it for the next 60k do stock

Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

what would be the perk of gettin some high dollar double roller set anyway? less chance to stretch over time? i think ima just get the oem spec one o'reileys has. all together water pump,gasket,lower hose, timing set, and gasket lookin at like 100, not bad really.should be fun.

do i need any special tools or anything? or is it just unbolt it all and goto town?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

well i went out and the game plan was to just take like the shroud off and unhook the coolant hose, but yea.... i ended up taking the whole water pump off lol. went fast. i couldnt figure out how to get the damn fan to come off, didnt have a big enough wrench anyway. so i just took it all off as one piece.

so when if i do the timing set. i know i gotta take the balancer off and then what else? like does the accesory bracket have to come off?

and also when puttin it back together, does it matter what position the balancer goes on in?

thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you need to mark the **** out of everything so it goes back the same place it came off. i would also change the cam gear. the nilon stock ones wear long before the chain. and if you in there call summit wait 2 days and put a gear to gear in it and never have to do it again. and the high flow waterpump is like 50 at advanced auto and they work great. also i would do a full radior flush so your not slamming the **** im the block in to the new water pump and radior... but that is just me. the stock stuff is just fine for the normal driver.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 AM
BigGRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I replaced my water pump I just got a napa replacement, works fine, after seeing everyone talk about their tstats I'm wondering what kind I have. I got a new one when I replaced the pump and put it in there but I don't remember what it said, whats the difference between a 180 or a 195? is that usual operating temp on the actual guage?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford the heavy duty water pump I would get it. You never know when you might be towing or something and need a little extra cooling.

I would get the gear type timing chain that way you never have to worry about it again. If you can't afford it right now that's understandable but If you can then do it once so you don't have to do it again

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Double roller is supposedly more accurate than the morse type chain. (stock flavor.) Also more resistant to stretch. I got the .25inch roller guy, and it was under 50 bucks. Made an amazing difference in how the engine ran. (mine was REALLY sloppy)

To get to it, all you need is some manner of BOLT ON puller for the harmonic damper, and maybe a jaw type puller for the crank gear. (mine just pulled right off, no tools required) the top accessory bracket will need to come off. I just set the a/c compressor off to the side, and set the alt back on the intake. Didn't even disconnect the wires. (make sure the battery is disconnected though.)

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

someone please tell me how the hell to get this damn fan off the old pump. i have tried a strap wrench on the pull and using what wrench i had, but its not gettin a good grip to wack on the nut with but it wont come loose. and also if the pump is installed and your lookin at it, which way does the nut for the fan go to break loose? counter clockwise right? im open to all ideas. everything else is done except for gettin the damn fan on there.

Quick Reply: Boom goes the water pump!