2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

*&T^^&R$%^ Front End

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 PM
tsc89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *&T^^&R$%^ Front End

I have just about had it with this death wobble problem. Before you tell me to do a search I have time and time again. I have replaced the track bar, shocks, the steering stabilizer, the steering box, added the brace that goes across the frame under the pitman arm, had the front end aligned and rechecked again. I also had the ball joints, tie rod ends and axle links checked. This thing only has 58K on it and shouldn't be acting like this.

Maybe I'll just put leaf springs under this damn thing and call it good.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...you didnt say you checked, or replaced your wheel bearings, so check 'em and replace them. they tend to **** the bed frequently. even with 58k they could be toast..... good luck with it. also maybe try the rock solid ram steering fix, as well as the intermidiate shaft, goes between the column and the box i had to replace mine last summer, but it had 160k on it.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

im going through the same problem, and my todo list keeps getting longer the more i research. lol

Front Suspension Parts List

AGR super steering box 2 - $370
Superlift dropped pitman arm - $80
Rock solid ram steering fix - $60
RoughCountry Dual steering stabilizer - $90
HBS leveling completer kit - $148
Steering box stabilizer - $120
TuffCountry front dual shock kit - $115
TGC custom length control arms - $250
Adjustable Trac bar and mount - ?
1 ton steering conversion - ?
Intermediate steering shaft - ?
ball joints and u-joints - ?
tie rod ends - ?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on wheel bearings.

Get down in front of the truck and have a helper crank it up and saw the wheel 1/4 turn left and right while you watch all of the steering components for movement.

Watch the track bar where it connects to the axle for left to right movement and where it connects to the frame for up and down movement. I've heard of new track bars crapping out quickly.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM
tsc89

All the steering componenets were rechecked last Saturday when we put it back on the alignment rack.

The Rock Solid kit is on order. I'll buy the intermidiate shaft after the rock solid kit arrives and do it all at the same time.

If the front wheel bearings can go to crap so quickly which brand are the best to replace them with?

Can you put the 1 ton steering conversion on a 2001 1/2 ton club cab 4x4?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tsc89
All the steering componenets were rechecked last Saturday when we put it back on the alignment rack.

The Rock Solid kit is on order. I'll buy the intermidiate shaft after the rock solid kit arrives and do it all at the same time.

If the front wheel bearings can go to crap so quickly which brand are the best to replace them with?

Can you put the 1 ton steering conversion on a 2001 1/2 ton club cab 4x4?
you can check the steering shaft without replacing it....just turn it from the top back and forth by hand and watch for sloppyness between top and bottom were it bolts to the steering box.... I honestly dont see what it has to do with death wobble though? which is it your trying to fix, slop and wander in the steering or the death wobble (which it a horrible wobble that starts in the front end from something resonating once a certian speed is achieved and doesnt stop till you slow way down.)
wheel bearing usually only go fast when something else is worn or out of adjustment like alignment or you have larger tires applying more strain on them.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-28-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
tsc89

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
you can check the steering shaft without replacing it....just turn it from the top back and forth by hand and watch for sloppyness between top and bottom were it bolts to the steering box.... I honestly dont see what it has to do with death wobble though? which is it your trying to fix, slop and wander in the steering or the death wobble (which it a horrible wobble that starts in the front end from something resonating once a certian speed is achieved and doesnt stop till you slow way down.)
wheel bearing usually only go fast when something else is worn or out of adjustment like alignment or you have larger tires applying more strain on them.

I am trying to fix the death wobble. It almost put me into the side of a tractor trailer last night.

I checked the steering shaft for play and didn't see or feel anything. I also checked the steering shaft at the base of the colmn and it didn't feel like there was any play there either.

The tires are factory size 17". When the alignment was done the technician only found one side of the toe out of adjustment.
Yes, this guy knows what he is doing and he has been aligning my Dodge trucks for years.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Kenny1369
Default Front End Issues

I was told when i took my truck to the shop that the engine turned loose. After doing some studying on the problem, i found that the # 4 fuel injector was not operating properly. After replacing the fuel injector, i ran the truck down the road and the front end began to jump around 45 to 50 mph but goes away when i drive faster. What can be the problem? I know that it is not in the engine since the check engine light went out immediately after replacing the faulty fuel injector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kenny1369; 04-28-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny1369
I was told when i took my truck to the shop that the engine turned loose. After doing some studying on the problem, i found that the # 4 fuel injector was not operating properly. After replacing the fuel injector, i ran the truck down the road and the front end began to jump around 45 to 50 mph but goes away when i drive faster. What can be the problem? I know that it is not in the engine since the check engine light went out immediately after replacing the faulty fuel injector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You should start your own thread.

But, if your 'hopping around' coincides with 4th gear, and TCC engagement, you still have a miss.

Quick Reply: *&T^^&R$%^ Front End