2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM
PutThtPed@lDown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power!!!

Hey, i've got a 98 1500 4x4 with a 318. Lokkin to get some real power somehow. I've gone over a lot of ideas and put up quite a few posts already, though im still newbie status haha. I'm mostly new to mopar so i dont know too many specifics but i know i need wayyy more power than im getting from my 318. I've looked into a 4bt conversion but a lot of the ones ive seen done have taken quite a bit of time. Ive heard all this about a 390 stroke but honestly dont know what all that entails. Also looking into procharger cause ive heard the p-1sc would be compatible somewhat.. Anybody got any good ideas, or any past experiences. The cheaper the better

Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

'Cheaper' and 'more power', don't really go well together. The 4bt conversion wouldn't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Fabbing up a supercharger setup wouldn't either. Both projects would run into several thousand dollars, and still may not be done. You best bet is, let us know what you wanna spend, and if you can do the work yourself. Also, if you have something else to drive while working on your truck.....

Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Right now ive got a suspension on my license till october so ive got time and more time. Money isnt a huge issue but its there. I just wanna spend as little as neccessary so to say. If theres gonna be a big job that costs alot ill wait till around july and pull it out of savings. Maybe in the couple thousand or so range. If theres an idea that sticks though ill keep saving till next summer and drop a big dime on her. So far ive got nothing performance wise except an exhaust currently about to go on and a cold air intake. And plugs and wires. Probably headers with the exhaust but other than that she's all stock. I've heard gears would be good for me? Runnin 34" on a lift and gas aint gettin cheaper either haha

Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, gears would certainly help you, and your trans would like you better for it too. 4.56 would go good with those tires.

For a couple grand, and the most bang for the buck, I would look at doing the forced induction thing. Would require some custom tuning, different map sensor.... but, that's about it. Run 4-6 pounds of boost, and pick up 60-100 horsepower......

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Thank you! Benn lookin around trying to find the right ratio, and if it'd be good for my tranny and low end im all for it. She gets a little stubborn when she's cold about clipping into drive and reverse a little late and a little hard. So that's something ill definitely do sooner than later. I have to replace the rear diff cover anyways cause its leaking. And forced induction sounds good to me, would a supercharger like procharger be the way to go? I havent seen any root-styles available for the 318-60? And ive heard talk of people putting turbos in them before but i'd assume that would be more fab work?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
ron333
Captain

STS Turbo has popped up in the past in discussions for these trucks, but NOT if you want to do any towing. I had entertained the idea briefly of forced induction, but I'm not willing to spend the money nor the time getting it right. I've got too much on my plate as it is. I'm sticking to simple stuff for my newly acquired '05 and selling the '96.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

A centrifugal supercharger is certainly the way to go. far easier to get set up, and running right than trying to do the roots style.

Hahn's5.2 (I think that's correct) Has a remote mount turbo on his truck, might want to check him out too.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Alright, seems like procharger would be the thing to do.. 6 lbs would be the highest you'd go? I was lookin at the specs and i could tune it up to around 11-13 i think, would this risk damaging my internals? And ill look up hahns and see what he's got for advice too. Thank you

Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On a stock motor, even six pounds is pushing it. On a high mileage stock motor, 11-13 would pretty much guarantee the need for a rebuild in short order....... Now, if you build the motor with that level of boost in mind.... that's another story. (and a boatload more power.)

Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I read a write up somewhere of someone building a 400 horse 318 really cheap cause I was looking into it fit my Mazda. I believe it consisted of a 360 crank, chevy 283 pistons, and a few other goodies. I'll try to find the write up.

Quick Reply: Power!!!