2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What do you think of a ram for offroading?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... I will break it down like this.. I have a ram with 10 inch lift. 39 inch tires... I wheel daily.

mud-ram
sand-either
tight trail- jeep
open trail-ram
things like powerlines-ram
rocks- jeep

been on each terrain.. i like ny ram but as is jeeps are cheaper and do just as much

Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

One thing I will give to the Ram over the jeep though, is ride comfort....... the truck just rides a hell of a lot better than a short wheel base jeep......

Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok, i go mudding ALL the time in my ram....its stock height, with some nice tires and 4.10 gears....and ive gotten stuck maybe 5 times.....I have a regular cab short bed, and the wheelbase on that is perfect for riding...the RAMS are tanks in the mud...well at least mine is, but ive also done ALOT of work to it, LOTS of new parts....

Id go mudding with a RAM over a jeep anyday...Ive pulled out alot of jeeps because they get stuck much easier, they dont have the torque like a RAM does...you can take a stock ram and go mudding and have a blast....with Jeeps, they sit low so you need bigger tires, and with bigger tires, those things (wrangler for instance) will have only about 90hp to the wheels with bigger tires, hense having to spend more money on the jeep over a stock ram...

ive gone through pits where the mud was 3/4 over my tires and she ripped right through...ive gone through water pits where the water was about six inches from my window, ripped right through (but dont go fast, dont want to take in water).....The rams can get through alot of stuff...i dont think its fun riding in a tight trail, which a jeep would be needed, but ive gotten through alot of narrow trails without fail.....

Get a Ram over a Jeep, you'll be glad you did.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i get the jeep having the ability to move easily. and the ram has the power and comfert for sure. but im going to just say if you want the best of both worlds. get a dakota with a V8 and a 5 speed. they have the power of the ram and can move like the jeep in tight places. yea you limit the things you can get but you get a good middle of the road. i know that my dakota has not issue running threw the tight trials but i can also throw mud with the rams.

as for the 2nd gen rams or anyone running a 318/360 the dis cap its the issue. move the coil pack to the top of the fender or somewhere in that area. and built a box around it. i actually put mine in side the cold air intake box it keeps them clear of water and dry. and if you do have an issue with the dis. its because you got the wrong one. mine came with a rubber ring one the bottom to seal it. and before that i actually uses just an o ring from the local parts store. but i still had the issue untell i changed to a MSD coil. and moved its location. problem went away. and my truck loves water now.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Rob59
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
One thing I will give to the Ram over the jeep though, is ride comfort....... the truck just rides a hell of a lot better than a short wheel base jeep......
My old ZJ puts my ram to shame in terms of riding comfort and features, yeah an XJ or a wrangler the ram is better, though and those are what most people build for off road rigs.

If you are just going mudding anything with 4wd, decent ride height and some good tires is going to do pretty good. I will say though, this past weekend i had an XJ pull me out of the mud more than once. I think my biggest issue was tires, though. Nice new set of BFG AT's, but they are AT's, not mud tires.

And to those saying the jeep has no power, 200hp and 220ish torque in a vehicle that barely tops 3000lbs vs a full size that is upwards of 5500lbs, the jeeps have plenty of power and those I6's are low rpm torque like ours. Not to mention those things are bullet proof. And if you get a ZJ you can even get the 318 and even the 5.9 although only 98's. 318 in a vehicle that is 2000lbs lighter and very torquey is perfect for off road. Not to mention most jeeps come with better gearing than our trucks do.

Last edited by Rob59; 05-19-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
mopar3187310
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can also spary the cap with some wd40 it will repell the water and never miss a beat. I have done this many times when I still had my 98 ram. Works great.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

ive never had an issue with my cap, and ive gone through some deep pits.....and rob59, the specs that you have are at the flywheel NOT the wheels....they probably have about 150hp to the wheels and about 175 torque....and jeeps dont sit all that high, and putting on bigger tires will decrease those stats, unless you re-gear it, which makes my point, it will be more money for a jeep then a ram

Old 05-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
ive never had an issue with my cap, and ive gone through some deep pits.....and rob59, the specs that you have are at the flywheel NOT the wheels....they probably have about 150hp to the wheels and about 175 torque....and jeeps dont sit all that high, and putting on bigger tires will decrease those stats, unless you re-gear it, which makes my point, it will be more money for a jeep then a ram
Yeah and the dodge puts about 175hp and 260 lb-ft at the wheels. It does make more power, no one is arguing that. The jeep weights significantly less, so it needs less power to move and it has a better power to weight ratio. Power to weight is all that matters, not total power.

A factory Dodge 4x4 is only slightly taller than a jeep. 35's on a jeep will take a jeep a lot further than a Dodge on 35's and for either one you are going to have to re-gear. Its not like dodges have prime off roading gears from the factory.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

here is ohio YJ frames rust out so bad its not funny,, steering box will pull right off rhe frame,, skid plate/trans will drop off the frame and the rear shackle mount between than and the bumper will rust all the way throw

im not talking about the body which the floor pans and were the roll bar mounts will be gone also

take a dodge the same year, the frame will still be in good working order,,, and it will have door rot and bubbles in the frenders

Quick Reply: What do you think of a ram for offroading?