2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front brakes STILL locking up

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM
bobboraze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes STILL locking up

I've had my brake hoses (not the hard lines) replaced, new calipers, new pads, new rotors. Getting so frustrated now....

Drove fine around town for a few days, then intermittently they start locking up again. I literally ride my brakes just to get home. Yet after a bit of driving, it clears up a bit.

I'm going a bit crazy, any advice? The master cylinder seems to be acting normal, no odd feelings in the pedal. The only thing I can think is that it needs a full fluid flush...

I believe it's not a straight physical contact yet pressure in the lines somehow. I'll double check, yet cracking the bleeders I believe relieves the rub. (though considering everything past the brake hoses is brand spanking new, that's likely the case)

Old 05-19-2011, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Use something like a turkey baster to get as much fluid out of the M/C as you can, then refill with fresh fluid. At that point, bleed the SNOT out of your brakes, all the way around. Continue to flush until you get nice clean fluid at all four corners. (don't let the M/C run low, or you get to start all over again. )

Wonder if there is an obstruction in one of the hard lines??

Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
bobboraze
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Use something like a turkey baster to get as much fluid out of the M/C as you can, then refill with fresh fluid. At that point, bleed the SNOT out of your brakes, all the way around. Continue to flush until you get nice clean fluid at all four corners. (don't let the M/C run low, or you get to start all over again. )

Wonder if there is an obstruction in one of the hard lines??

Yeah I'm thinking it needs a really good flush. I'm unfortunately away from home with no garage or tools, so I'm having a local mechanic down the street help me out. I had assumed a fluid flush would have came with all the replacements above, yet maybe not...

Yeah I really hope the hard lines are alright....

Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Mpi360
Banned

Id take it back to the place that worked on it and say WTF? If he did replace all those parts chances are he bleed the front brakes. Dont think thats the issue. Look at the proportioning valve watching the pressure switch valve making sure its working correctly.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm betting the soft lines could be swelling or have debris in them, hence why the brakes are locking

Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

He already replaced the soft lines.

Wonder if he just got charged for them, but didn't really get new ones?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Things that make you go, "HMMMMMM".

Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
kturner
Amateur

Originally Posted by bobboraze
I've had my brake hoses (not the hard lines) replaced, new calipers, new pads, new rotors.
Check your caliper brackets to see if there are indentations along where the brake pad ears ride. I replaced a bunch of stuff on my '96 Dakota for this same problem and my Dad did the same on his D250. As I was re-assembling everything on the Dakota, I noticed the indentations. I suspect the pads are getting stuck on these. If it happens again, I'm going to swap the caliper brackets. If this theory is right, replacing old pads with new *may* help the problem for a little while, as the pad ears might not be hitting the same part of the caliper bracket until the pads wear some.

Keith

Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mpi360
Id take it back to the place that worked on it and say WTF? If he did replace all those parts chances are he bleed the front brakes. Dont think thats the issue. Look at the proportioning valve watching the pressure switch valve making sure its working correctly.
Trust me I'm more than pissed now. Unfortunately they're 200 miles away at my other place, I don't feel like risking another trip to get there. He's out but I'm calling back in 10 minutes.

No I checked, the soft lines are definitely brand new. As well as the calipers, pads, and rotors.

Originally Posted by kturner
Check your caliper brackets to see if there are indentations along where the brake pad ears ride. I replaced a bunch of stuff on my '96 Dakota for this same problem and my Dad did the same on his D250. As I was re-assembling everything on the Dakota, I noticed the indentations. I suspect the pads are getting stuck on these. If it happens again, I'm going to swap the caliper brackets. If this theory is right, replacing old pads with new *may* help the problem for a little while, as the pad ears might not be hitting the same part of the caliper bracket until the pads wear some.

Keith
I'll take a look, though the fact all those parts are literally brand new, including the brackets. As well, this problem occurred just as much with the old pads, as well as the new. Nothing changed in that respect.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

So the mechanic said he was more than happy to fix, yet of course he's way out of range now.

He never did a full brake flush, he bled the snot out of em, and added more fluid. I'm going to flush the entire system...

Quick Reply: Front brakes STILL locking up