2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

alternator charging problem-post plenum repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 PM
redneck55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tweeker909
Engine running/not running whats the volts on the large wire? Rev the engine whats the voltage? Whats the volts to the pcm pin 3? Pcm needs correct voltage at that pin to calculate the field needed. Pcm pin 20 is the field wire. Can use a tach or a dwell meter something to detect the pulses from this pin. Or simple remove said wire field wire from the pcm. This tells you on which side the fault is. Pcm or alternator/wireing.
Engine NOT running for the B+ alt terminal = 11.48 Volts

Engine running for the B+ alt terminal = infinity???

Reved engine = the same.

Voltages from terminals (and ground) in previous post.

I have perfect continuity between the field terminal and pcm pin 20. 0.000

i got 0.007 for the other terminal and pin 3.

Maybe I need to retest...

Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM
redneck55

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Did you connect the ground wire to the BACK of the alternator? Because i left that off, and it would not charge. Also, you may not have tightened it down.

I think that you didn't hook up the alternator correctly after the plenum repair. There is nothing about a plenum repair that would not make it charge unless you did not hook up the alt correctly.
There are 2 ground wires on the back of the alt. right? And 1 larger one that bolts to the top of the AC support bracket right?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Ok, one of those wires is hot at all times, (key on, anyway....) the other one I think the pcm grounds to form the field. I think........ so, it may 'pulse', or some such. Did you measure the output voltage from the alt?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 PM
redneck55

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok, one of those wires is hot at all times, (key on, anyway....) the other one I think the pcm grounds to form the field. I think........ so, it may 'pulse', or some such. Did you measure the output voltage from the alt?
Just rechecked, from the B+ output terminal from the alternator grounded to the battery (-) terminal I got 27 Volts, it read infinity earlier since I didn't have the correct scale selected on the volt meter.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

27 volts????? Holy schmokes.... something is definitely awry there. trace your alternator wiring back to the pcm, wonder if something got pinched, and shorted....

Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 PM
redneck55

27 is what it read.

On a odd shot, I pulled the 120 amp fuse and put it under a bright light. It's broken on the very edge behind the sight hole.

It's a gd bad fuse....

Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 AM
tweeker909
Professional

Having 27 volt's( r u kidding me)at the alternator and 11v at the battery with a running engine points to bad connection back to the pdc to the battery. But wait a minute you did not check voltage at pin 3 at the pcm? why not? Also check pin 57 for voltage?The field wire is pulsed, again dwell meter or tach can read this pulse or non-pulse or constent. Check for ripple voltage at the B+ on the alt by switching your meter to AC, engine running? Now at the battery engine off meter to AC? Did not ask for continuity only voltage readings. Easiest way to go about this is to remove/cut the field wire at the pcm pin 20, engine running. Note what happens to the voltage when you remove just this wire. Volts go up/down stay the same? I have a feeling about the answers but i dont give the answer of what is should be. I want to know your answer readings.

Last edited by tweeker909; 05-23-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM
redneck55

see my last post. I was checking continuity to make sure I hadn't knicked a wire upon reconnections and I didn't think cutting wires at 11-12pm was a good idea.

I'm not sure why I would get such readings on the volt meter, probably need to pay better attention to my settings and connections.

Sure enough, the fuse was broken down on the edge away from the sight hole. Replaced it this morning and started air purging the system. The truck is running pretty good.

Now on to the check valves to get the vent door under control and check pulley alignment for a very little belt chirp.

Quick Reply: alternator charging problem-post plenum repair