2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 V8 360 " Need your help" please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Have you checked your trans fluid? (in neutral, won't can an accurate reading in park.)

Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
aksplace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked the transmission fluid on and in neutral. It was on the min full section on the stick. I just added a full quart of premium transmission fluid to it. Does not seem to be helping.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell us more about this "broken intake line"... do you have a vacuum leak?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 PM
aksplace

This broken line is in the back part of the hood near windshield its behind the valve plastic type cover where a filter goes. The filter is clean BTW.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:11 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that may be just a vent.. fire up your truck and cover it with your thumb, and see if the idle changes..

you have autolite plug wires.. there is a TSB about using those things.. I'd rec you lose them for some of decent quality- and whilst your at it, check out the routing TSB in the faq section..

these may be your huckleberry.. if your engine has no power to offer your tranny, chances are your tranny isn't going to respond.. a vacuum leak can do that.. so can misfires which the routing and the plug wires could cause..

Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM
aksplace

The idle did not change.. I had super power prior to this happening.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 AM
aksplace

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up it has got much worse and figured I would drive it until it had no trany left.

Anyone got any suggestions on how I should get it replaced ? $2400 seems quite high to get a transmission put in it however does include a 3 year warranty. Putting a transmission in something I can learn quickly or is it not worth it ?

Also is it common for the oil game to be in the red"zero" area while driving if you have a bad tranny ?

Last edited by aksplace; 10-17-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:56 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Originally Posted by aksplace
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up it has got much worse and figured I would drive it until it had no trany left.

Anyone got any suggestions on how I should get it replaced ? $2400 seems quite high to get a transmission put in it however does include a 3 year warranty. Putting a transmission in something I can learn quickly or is it not worth it ?

Also is it common for the oil game to be in the red"zero" area while driving if you have a bad tranny ?
$2400 for a 3 year warranty trans? Wish I lived near you, I'm paying $2300 for one with a 1 year warranty! Thats not a bad deal on the trans if you do go that route. Thats if its even your trans. Did you bring it to a shop yet? or all self diagnose?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 AM
SwampDonkey440
Amateur

Does the truck have good power when you shift it manually or does it just shift better? Sounds like the plenum Is blown and the cat has stopped up. Look down in the throttle body for oil pooling and if you are still running the truck, roll up under it while warm and put your hand close to the cat anf then the tailpipe. If the cat is stopped up that badly, the heat radiating from it should be exponentially hotter. Ive even seen them glow before

Old 10-17-2011, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by aksplace

I think I would figger out the zero oil pressure before spending a lot of money on the trans...... Check the oil level first..... make sure that is up to snuff, if it isn't, get a mechanical pressure gauge, and screw that in where the oil pressure sensor is now, (just to the passenger side of the distributor, on the back of the engine....) and see what the mechanical gauge is telling you. It may be just a bad sensor, but, you need to find out. No point in spending over 2 grand on a trans, just to blow the motor a week later.

Quick Reply: 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 V8 360 " Need your help" please