2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 V8 360 " Need your help" please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 AM
aksplace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 V8 360 " Need your help" please

Hello everyone, new to the site but found you all from Google. I just recently purchased a 95 dodge ram 4x4 v8 360. The truck had zero problems the first 3 days of purchase, transmission ran very smoothly did not ever hear it switching gears etc. I had some scrap and heavy objects on the farm to move yesterday and did so with no problems. Only thing I forgot to do however was take the truck out of overdrive

Now however when I drive it I have very little power at times. I do not think its the transmission as all the gears still work but at times I have to put the truck in neutral and back into drive to run normally. The truck does not want to shift down or up when I hit speeds but when they do shift up or down there is no slippage per say or hard gear changes. When it acts up no matter how hard I press on the gas the rpms barely go up and it is really luggy. When im slowing down from faster speeds it also acts up and luggy like its not wanting to shift down on the gear. Tranny fluid is full along with it being pink looking. This is my first dodge truck and I love it just disappointed because I feel I did some serious damage to the truck haling 3500 pounds with overdrive on and driving slow and up and down hills.

What can cause my truck to do this now ? Did I ruin the tranny ? Could it be a torque converter ? I had it plugged in at bumper to bumper and the only code that came up was "Trans temp Sensor is running too high".. only issue I have with that is there is no sensor on the truck. There is a external coolant system on this truck for the tranny and I really don't think there is a sensor I bought one and looked for it forever. "Yes I Googled looking for location where it would be"

Please help, what does this new dodge fanatic need ?

Last edited by aksplace; 06-06-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chances are, it's your map sensor or possibly the TPS. The trans temp sensor should be replaced, because it will change the shift schedule reading hot (this is in the valvebody of the trans).

If you've only had the truck three days,is there a warranty,or did you buy private?
Sensors can drastically hinder performance long before giving you a check engine light, so it's important to have it checked using live data feed and someone who is experienced to read it.

I doubt you have a trans problem though.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
aksplace

Thanks for feedback anyone else have an idea ?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your o/d being on likely didn't harm anything.. the problem with using it while towing is primarily at highway speeds, where it 'hunts' for gear excessively and overheats- causing your fluid to varnish.. anyway:

adjust your TV cable for starters..

you do have sensors in the tranny, just no electronic controlled shifting.. yours works off of pressures..

Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
aksplace

Should the tv cable be tight or a little play in it ?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

No slop at all, as soon as the throttle starts to move, the cable should as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:51 PM
aksplace

I found the tv cable had a little play in it however the 2 wires that hook to the tv cable section are really lose. Could this be the reason as well ? also how does one tighten these ? It appears you cannot just turn them right or left to tighten the wires. Also I noticed I have a broken intake line.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
aksplace

Could the catalac convertor be a reason ?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Possibly. Crawl under the truck and smack it with a rubber mallet, or something similar. If it rattles, its bad.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
aksplace

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Possibly. Crawl under the truck and smack it with a rubber mallet, or something similar. If it rattles, its bad.
Nope don't rattle

I can shift just fine manually.. This is confusing and quite bothersome.

Quick Reply: 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 V8 360 " Need your help" please