2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air intake system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpnorris87
How about something like this?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/72...ductId=1203412

Makes the 14x3 guys happy, spectre guys happy....and if you are real good you will make some brakets to run the tubes on either side of your radiator. The you get nice cold air to the engine.

Every intake has its ups and downs. What happens if you are off-roading and drop your passenger side tire down into a hole in some deep water? That nice Spectre or stock air box for that matter is gonna suck water into your engine. If you want the 14x3 and are worried about mud and dirt, go to autozone/oreilleys/napa/whoever and buy a cool 1/4 foam cover made for your air cleaner. Or run paper and just keep a spare. Or just clean your K&N. It really doesn't matter. Just pick one that you like in your engine bay. Personally, I have Hemi Orange Mopar Performance valve covers, a black 14x3 lid with a Hemi Orange Magnum 360 lid cover just like the old Mopar muscle cars. I made the lid out of an old buick lid. Paid $20 for the bottom and bought a paper filter (Magnum 360 lid cover cost me $80 but it adds 20HP).

Decide what you want in your engine bay. Get it. Install it. Ask on here if you need any help. And when you are done, kick back and drink a beer.

About a year ago, I almost pulled the trigger on that exact setup.

On another forum, some guys were complaining about a fitment issue, don't know if they ever got it resolved.

The thing about that setup that turned me off it, and you can't see it in the picture, is the top of that unit actually rides on top of the filter. There is a sizable gap between the base and lid that would allow hot air in while idling, and ruin any true "ram air" effect you might get from it, as any excess forced air pressure from forward driving leaks out of the gap.

I believe they do this for carbed setups as the carburetor can't compensate for the excess air pressure like a computer controlled FI vehicle can.

The one nice thing about the gap is that in the event of high water or intense rain, the air will simply get sucked up through the gap in the base rather than through the tubes.

I was looking at the time for a true ram air system that wouldn't cost me $400. That is why I made my own from old dakota air hats.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 06-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I was looking at the time for a true ram air system that wouldn't cost me $400. That is why I made my own from old dakota air hats.

Ive got the same thing. Pulled it off a dakota when I grabbed my spare intake and throttle body. Even bought a bunch of black PVC tubing and elbows to fit it. Was going to run it up to my radiator, build a quick disconnect box for it mounted on the radiator support and seal it to have a true CAI. But I just cant get over how sexy my engine looks with the Magnum 360 lid and matching Mopar performance valve covers. Maybe one of these days, I will just throw it on and see what happens.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

so what WOULD happen (non-sarcastically) if you just took the tube from the stock airbox off, left that gap on the left of the air box open, and just put a k&n drop in, in the stock airbox?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

more air but extremely heat soaked from the passenger exhaust manifold

Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

what could we do to solve that? because to me, sounds like a cheap good thing..

Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Good luck with cheap.

Fixing that issue is the whole reason the stock tube is there. Your stock air box is a cold air intake. It's just more restrictive than it should be for any application other than stock. That is why there is a whole aftermarket of various solutions.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

im just too picky.. it sucks.. lol i know it's not very possible to spend under 100$ and get HP

spectre cold air intake is prolly my best bet.. for Hp right?

Last edited by tatitup8; 06-10-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I can't say definitively as I haven't run one. I do know that the 14x3 setup is better than stock, even with the heat soak. Others swear they lose some low end grunt.

I agree with adobedude though, you should address the exhaust before the intake.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

exhaust is done, magnaflow hiflow cat, no muffler going to a 6" diesel tip for deep sound

Quick Reply: air intake system?