2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idiot 4x4 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
idahoprime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idiot 4x4 question

sorry i know this is lame, i tried to search the forum but 4x4 is too short a term to search and i didnt really know what else to search for, i tried google and apparently im the only person who doesnt know how to use 4wd.

Anyway, just bought a 97 ram 1500, no owners manual. This is the first 4x4 ive ever owned. its an auto trans. i really dont know how to even engage 4x4 so i wanted to ask before i did any damage. heres what the guy quickly explained to me when i bought it. You put the column shifter in Neutral, then you throw the floor shifter in whatever 4wd gear you need. right now, the floor shifter is laying in the forward most position (4wd L i believe). If i put the truck in neutral, what exactly do i have to do to engage 4wd? And how do i disengage it? I believe the guy said to put the truck back in a Drive gear on the column, and it will drop out of 4wd? And, when im not using 4wd, is it ok to have that floor shifter forward in that low position? Or should it be in 4wd Neutral on the floor.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the noob question. feel free to cuss me out, or maybe just point me to a link so i can read about it myself.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps... the shift pattern is(starting from farthest foward- lever is pushed all the way toward front of truck) 2high (street use) 4hi(off road) Neutral(being towed) 4Lo(slow going 4wheeling, pulling someone thats stuck out.. etc.. to engage/disengage 4hi or 2hi be below 55mph and left off throttle and pull lever back to 4hi position or push lever forward for 2hi. for 4lo slow truck to 1-3mph (not stopped) and put in neutral then pull lever back QUICKLY to 4lo(you will need to push lever to side then pull back to be able to get in 4lo) do NOT stop in neutral or it may grind and then you will need to shut truck off to get it back out. to get out of 4lo reverse the steps i just gave you for 4lo. any more questions or if ya want a video let me know

Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Yep, it really is that simple. Want 4x4? Make sure ya ain't goin' too fast, and give the stick a tug. (you can do this with the trans in gear too....) An important point though, is that the light in the dash comes on. It is in the set of three just to the left of the steering column. It might take it a minute or three to come on. (rock the wheel back and forth a bit while driving forward to help it along.) If the light does not come, you do NOT have 4x4...... the front axle is not locking in. Need to find out why, and fix it. (it's vacuum operated, so, the fix is usually pretty simple.)

Try it out, see if it works. Take it from there.

Do NOT use 4 wheel drive on pavement. You will break things. (expensive things.)

Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

Other posters are on the money.. I just type slow. My .02cents

Welcome to 4x4 world. For future reference grab an owner’s manual or download one. But for the basics... The Readers Digest version, from Owners manual.

To shift in or out of 4wd L,

While slowly rolling 3MPH or less shift transmission to neutral, grasp the T/case lever and shift to 2wd H or into 4wd L without stopping at T/case neutral.

Now having said that, I stop the truck shut it off, in neutral and shift from 2wd H to 4wd L. But never with the engine running or the truck moving. I rarely use 4wd L.

To shift from 2wd H to 4wd H

At any legal speed, shift from 2wd H to 4wd H while on the move, slightly ease the throttle for a moment and pull lever to 4wd H and then continue on. Going from 4wd H to 2wd H same as above in reverse order.

A Warning from experience.... Do not use any 4wd range on paved roads or on any dry surfaces. Wear or damage will quickly follow. Tires, front and rear must be the same circumference to avoid driveline binding and damage.

One more thing...All wheels must be rolling to go from 2wd H to 4wd H, not one axle stopped and the other axle spinning, if not you will hear metal parts destroying themselves.

sprntpshr

Last edited by sprntpshr; 06-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
idahoprime

Thanks guys, i highly doubt ill ever need to use 4wd L, but good to know i need to be going slow for that.

Just to clarify a few things, should the floor shifter be in a certain position when 4wd is not in use? Like i said, its resting in 2wd H i believe. You're saying the 4x4 is kind of asleep until you shift into a 4x4 gear? i would just be under 55, let off the gas and move it into 4wd H? Then the light comes on and im good? and to disengage it do the same thing and push it back to 2wd h? then the light should eventually go off?

this may be another stupid question, but other than the light coming on, how would i know the 4wd is engaged? Would the engine sound strained? Anything happen to the rpms? Obviously i would probably be getting better traction, i know haha, but was just wondering.

thanks again for the responses, im glad i didnt try anything out on dry pavement. i will mainly be using 4wd just for the snow.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pretty much how it goes. It may take a few for the light to go out when you go back to 2Hi as well.

When you are actually in 4 wheel drive, it will take a bit more gas to get the acceleration you think you should, as you are turning more parts. But, not very much more..... most noticeable when turning, on a questionable surface. When in 4x4 mode, the front and rear axles are locked together, but, when you turn a corner, the front and rear wheels travel different paths, that are NOT the same length, so, if you have too much traction, the front end will sorta "hop" around the corner...... there HAS to be some slip, or, hopping will happen, or.... things will break. You don't wanna break stuff.

Find a dirt road to test things out on. Or a field that hasn't been planted. (and isn't too wet....... or, you will experience getting stuck. )

Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

No problem. I hope you don't have snow to play in today I was out in a old muddy pasture today testing out my new BFG Mud Terrains. They work good for me.

sprntpshr

Last edited by sprntpshr; 06-11-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: slow typing
Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by sprntpshr
No problem. I hope you don't have snow to play in today
I'll second that motion.......

Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best way to tell when the 4x4 is engaged (aside from the light) is that the steering will feel kind of grabby when you're going just a couple miles an hour and turn the wheel.

When I shift into 4lo I shut my truck off too, I don't like the grinding and never really mastered that shift. Maybe I just tried to shift too soon after taking the transmission out of neutral the two times I tried it the way you're supposed to shift or maybe I'm just dumb, I dunno.
For me the 4lo shift is: stop, put the transmission in neutral, shift to 4lo, start it up, drop the transmission in drive and go.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
idahoprime

Originally Posted by sprntpshr
I hope you don't have snow to play in today I was out in a old muddy pasture today testing out my new BFG Mud Terrains.
heh, no not yet, right in the beginnings of good old midwestern summer. Im just planning ahead. a few years ago i had a 2wd ram long bed and it was like a giant sled. My new 4x4 is a single cab short bed with brand new 33" Kelly Safaris, so i think im in better shape than before. Thanks!

Quick Reply: idiot 4x4 question