2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How would you attack this snapped off bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How would you attack this snapped off bolt?

So I go to take the intake manifold off and the first bolt I touch snapped off when I sneezed! It most have been rusted nearly completely through. I have already soaked the thing for a few hours with PB Blaster and tried locking vise grips on it. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i drilled threw mine since it just comes out the bottom and hooked a bolt to the bottom when i put on my new intake manifold .. i tried other stuff and it didnt wanna come out .. i still have a broken bolt in the back that i discovered taking it off,so i know someone tried to tackle the plenum before me. the bolt didnt even had a head on it

Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
TruckinDodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PB Blaster soak over night and heat in the morning with Vise grips on it as tight as I can get it, also try tapping it with a hammer to vibrate some of the rust loose. I had the same problem, same bolt on mine the first time I did mine, it took me a while to get it but it did come out.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have a welder, you could weld a nut onto the top of the broken bolt, then apply a wrench to the nut, combined with penetrating oil and heat.

and/or i'd try a plumber's propane torch, applying heat to the bolt, then try to turn it with the welded nut or vice grips.

also, if you don't have a welder, but do have a die set, you could attempt to cut/fix new threads on the broken bolt, then thread on a couple of nuts and lock them together.

heat's going to be your best friend. it stretches the bolt and breaks the rust lock.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An RPG?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:11 PM
SilverSS
Captain

I've actually had really good luck with these things. Might be worth a shot. http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...yword=bolt+off

Welding a nut to it would be the easiest if you have a welder. Anybody ever tried that with JB Weld?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

jb weld is good, but not that good. the torque would break it right off.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Chemicals, heat if ya got it, vice grips, and rapping on it with a hammer while trying to turn it works rather well. (as said above. )

I drilled thru mine, and then blew the rest out with a torch. Ran a tap down the holes, and all was well in intakeland.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:06 AM
CraZyNOTRT

well if you didnt destroy all of the threads on it i would have told you to get 2 nuts and screw them on, back the 2 nuts together and back it out.

but the best thing to do now is grind it in to a square and put a socket on it and take it out, or get a socket that smaller then the bolt and hammer it on, or jbweld a nut

Last edited by CraZyNOTRT; 06-19-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CraZyNOTRT
but the best thing to do now is grind it in to a square and put a socket on it and take it out
I did something similar on a couple exhaust manifold bolts on my Camaro. I just ground two flats on them and used vise grips since they're 5/16" bolts.
Two nuts is a good one too, just crank on the bottom nut and it would lock together with the top one.

Quick Reply: How would you attack this snapped off bolt?