2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power seat controls falling out

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM
idahoprime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat controls falling out

Hey, so i just got this 97 Ram 1500 and the power seat controls are kinda hanging off the seat a little bit. It still works and everything and it didnt bother me too much at the time. Well, ive been noticing that sometimes after the door is closed and i lean a certain way, the controls touch the side of the door and my seat actually moves. Freaked me out for a minute til i figured out what was going on. Has anyone ever taken these things apart or had a similar problem? The screws are still there, and it seems to be screwed into something, so im thinking that that something has maybe broken loose inside the seat? I dont really know what i should do next, other than rip into the uphostery, can anybody tell me whats going on under there beneath my uphostery? Any suggestions on getting this thing back in its place? Heres a pic, thanks.

Name:  photo1d.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  107.5 KB

Old 06-19-2011, 10:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

See if you can see anything from underneath the seat. might be as easy as putting in slightly larger screws.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1

If the wooden mounting panel is torn to hell and back, or fell out and is gone missing, try another wood panel or even a metal plate and some small machine bolts or self tapping screws. Might even be a dealership part they can order that is a direct fit. I'm pretty sure it's a thin wood panel that is in the upholstery.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 PM
idahoprime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this fixed and forgot to report back. There is no wooden mounting panel (at least not in mine). My controls, and the foam & the hole in the seat cover were ALL out of allignment, my guess is that it has been like that for a while and from people sitting in the seat everything just got moved around. Anyway, after cutting the seat cover just a little I was able to get it all back in. There are just 2 screw holes in the actual seat frame, you just have to be lucky enough to get them lines up. I have no idea how mine came out, the screws were still in the controls and through the seat cover. They didnt look stripped and they went right back into the seat frame. Weird.

Quick Reply: Power seat controls falling out