2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to me 2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab sport electrical problems and more!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Dodge forum! I just purchased a black dodge ram 1500 quad cab sport. 5.2L 4x4 auto. The truck seems to run solid. Shifts great accelerates great. The problems all start with the interior lights will not work and the radio will not work. I figure maybe fuses but I have to get a diagram and see what fuse is what. Any suggestions check the fuses if not that what else? I also noticed after i bought it I was driving home over the delaware memorial bridge and noticed that the check engine light started flashing. Now since i Just had bought it from a dealer I was ultra pissed but the light then went out and has not come back on. I dont no what to think about that? Well I'm new to the forum but famuliar with Dodge, chrysler and jeep. Jeeps more so because its mainly all I've had, but also with dodge and chrysler because its all my family had growing up and still does. That and jeeps. Hopefully you guys can give me a little help here and steer me in the rite direction. thanks guys.

I forgot one more. The seatbelt light flashes the entire time your in the vehicle even with the seatbelt clipped in. The dash lights up, the head lights work, the turn signals work, just the interior lights wont work, and the seat belt lights stays on with the belt clipped in, the radio does not power on at all.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-26-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Blown fuse. Pull the panel on the drivers side of the dash. (gotta have the door open to see it) Should have a 'guide' in there for what fuses are what. I would be surprised if they were all on the same circuit.

Check engine lite flashing is indicating and engine missfire. Probably tune-up time, or, mis-routed plug wires. (there is a Technical Service Bulletin about plug wire routing in the faq section here.)

Fix the interior lights first, see if that doesn't solve the seat belt light flashing.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 AM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse on the very bottom left of the box is probably blown check that and replace as needed. I forgot the exact name of it but it has one of those yellow retaining latches on it from the factory. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mgaither0
Hello Dodge forum! I just purchased a black dodge ram 1500 quad cab sport. 5.2L 4x4 auto. The truck seems to run solid. Shifts great accelerates great. The problems all start with the interior lights will not work and the radio will not work. I figure maybe fuses but I have to get a diagram and see what fuse is what. Any suggestions check the fuses if not that what else? I also noticed after i bought it I was driving home over the delaware memorial bridge and noticed that the check engine light started flashing. Now since i Just had bought it from a dealer I was ultra pissed but the light then went out and has not come back on. I dont no what to think about that? Well I'm new to the forum but famuliar with Dodge, chrysler and jeep. Jeeps more so because its mainly all I've had, but also with dodge and chrysler because its all my family had growing up and still does. That and jeeps. Hopefully you guys can give me a little help here and steer me in the rite direction. thanks guys.
Read this! https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Old 06-25-2011, 05:11 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman17
pardon my ignorance here, but how is a blown plenum causing this guys electrical problems?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

It may not be causing his current problems, but, it IS something he should look at.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

The fact he said the CEL was flashing at some point .

Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

wow that plenium gasket replacement looks like a real bitch. I hope i dont have to do that. Its under warranty for a couple months so I would strongly suggest the shop look into that if thats the case. Well i pulled the fuses that were related to the interior lights I believe one was number 8 and one was number 5 and both were perfectly fine. Thats the interior lights and the radio. Couldnt find a problem. Noticed the 3rd brake light was out change the bulbs and the problem is now fixed for the 3rd brake light. Check engine hasnt come on sense so I'm goign to just keep and eye on it. I did notice that the oil level seems to be very overfilled. What jack *** would over filled the oil alot? I guess my question now guys is 1. Why is the oil very over filled and what problems could that cause. I'm going to get the oil changed tomorrow just so the shop can look the truck over a little and see what problems they may notice. I know that over filling the oil cna cause increased pressure that I believe can cause the engine seals to blow out. Why would someone over fill the oil? 2 Now that it doesnt look like its the fuses to either the radio or dome lights/ interior lights as the fuses to both were fine where should I look now????? thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

did you check the fuse(s) with the funky plastic clips on them?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

I didnt pull all of them just the ones that matched up to what I was having problems with. I only saw one with a yellow type clip inside the panel inside the door

Quick Reply: New to me 2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab sport electrical problems and more!