2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulled the pre cat o2 and man what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I'm dense dude.. it's sometimes an issue.. but for what it's worth- I am now one post closer to 'knowing what i'm talking about'..

there are about a dozen guys who use this forum right often that really know what they are talking about.. there are maybe a dozen more that use it infrequently.. I'm glad to see you back Zman... Aim, HeyYou, hell- you guys know who you are..

we need to send a search party out for Unreg.. I'm thinking he doesn't want to be found for some reason though..

edited to add:

Zman, you are NOT Maddoff.. you are the opposite.. you are a cantankerous fart, where he was a really likeable guy.. you give great mechanical advice, where he gave a little less than stellar financial advise.. I stand by my analogy though..

Last edited by drewactual; 06-26-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Seriously, zman knows his stuff.
last thing im going to say about zman in this or any other thread. im not denying he knows his stuff. but like i said there are different ways of presenting your knowledge. coming on here acting like everyone is on the same playing field as far as knowledge is just plain stupid.

again, not everyone has the resources/knowledge/money to just take the throttle body off like in this instance. i for one do not. in order to do this im going to have to take the time to drop it off and the money to have someone to look at it. at this point in time i have neither extra.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 PM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
you don't need any special tools per se.. but, a socket made for it is worth it's weight in gold.. it is a socket with a side of the cylinder missing.. I think they are like $5~$8 at most parts stores.. i THINK ours are 7/8"..

as far as personalities on here go- or, hell, anywhere for that matter- it is somewhat important to remember that the dude who is nice isn't always the one that actually helps.. I think most of the folks involved loved Madoff, as an extreme example.

I can say with 100% certainty they are 7/8's

Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talthyren
I can say with 100% certainty they are 7/8's
agreed. there is a socket that you can use to slip on it but i found it next to impossible to fit the wrench on top of the socket to turn. i just used my plain 7/8 wrench and it came right off

Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1&2genrams
I gotta be honest, I don't think your intake looks ok, I would look into it more.
You can definatly see a residue....darker on the sides, I didn't have oil consumption or the pinging...I took a peek in the TB and saw something similar to the pictures....I ordered up the ebay plate right away, when I took my keg off I turned it upside down I could see the gasket was starting to hang out the sides, I pulled the tin plate off and the oil was in there for sure, mostly out of sight of the TB holes, I am assuming because you are looking directly in the path of the greatest airflow the oil will be sucked into the engine.....it does really collect in the sides....and lets face it, thats where it comes in too

i couldnt agree more. i was going to comment on the oil and taring one the lower sides. also wanted to add that i had the same issues about two weeks ago with the plugged cat and loss of power. i took the pipe apart at the y and removed it at the muffler. and actually built a fill mid pipe with out that cat in it. most of the 318 will run clear of the CEL with the cat missing. allowing for emmissions inspection to be sound. from the sounds of you issue tho it sounds like the motor is loading up. i would try fixing the CEL and then adopt other ideas from there. and normally when the cat is plugged under mid load like climbing hills or increasing from 45 to 55 or 35 to 45 you will head what sounds like a hissing this is where the exhaust is passing out of the connection between the manifold and y pipe. its a deffently noticable lack of power and the hissing is easily noticable. i would also look around on here and see if anyone else has the same issue or has had it i know i post things and get no answer because 100 other have asked and and a 1000 other have answered.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
agreed. there is a socket that you can use to slip on it but i found it next to impossible to fit the wrench on top of the socket to turn. i just used my plain 7/8 wrench and it came right off
Lucky Dog. Mine acted like they were welded in. I used a 24" pipe wrench, and a big farking hammer.......

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Novarider
Captain

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
last thing im going to say about zman in this or any other thread. im not denying he knows his stuff. but like i said there are different ways of presenting your knowledge. coming on here acting like everyone is on the same playing field as far as knowledge is just plain stupid.

again, not everyone has the resources/knowledge/money to just take the throttle body off like in this instance. i for one do not. in order to do this im going to have to take the time to drop it off and the money to have someone to look at it. at this point in time i have neither extra.

If you can replace an o2 sensor you should be able to pull the throttle body. Its just a few bolts and sits right on top of the motor.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 PM
95BIGRED
Professional

Originally Posted by novarider
if you can replace an o2 sensor you should be able to pull the throttle body. Its just a few bolts and sits right on top of the motor.
+1000

Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM
rczanstke
Professional

As far as your plenum goes, zman is correct, you need to take off the throttle body. And, honestly, even if it's not blown yet, if you haven't had the plenum repair done, i would. The gasket WILL fail.

Also, isn't there a way to check for a plenum leak using vacuum?

I found this link to testing the plenum:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...enum-leak.html
not sure if it's relevant, but i thought it might help.

Last edited by rczanstke; 06-28-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran

From what little I know, the plenum has to have a huge leak in it for the vacuum test to give you an absolute guarantee that the plenum is blown.

Quick Reply: Pulled the pre cat o2 and man what a difference!