2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I cant get the knuckle off. Upper ball joint and wheel bearing are off help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I cant get the knuckle off. Upper ball joint and wheel bearing are off help!

I cant get the knuckle off. Upper ball joint and wheel bearing are off. I dont no what I'm doing wrong. I have all the bolts out. I have also gotten the wheel bearing off and the upper ball joint. The only thing I can find holding the knuckle on is the lower ball joint. What do i do? Do I just keep prying the lower ball joint? On the other wheel I cant get the upper ball joint off. I've pryed with the pickle fork for a very long time i must of banged on it for at least a hour then i tried prying and prying and nothing. It kept sliding out when i pried and went all most all the way if not all the way in and didnt budge.

Last edited by mgaither0; 07-06-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 PM
94Beater
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prying might not help.
Use BIGGER hammer - it should pop right off.
If you are changing the ball joints then don't worry - just hit it hard.
If you are reusing the ball joints, put something over (piece of aluminum works the best) the ball joint before you strike it.
They do get tight and sticky.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things. PICKLE FORK and Big @#% Hammer.
Ball joint press (big one) and an impact drill will pop those ball joints out NO PROBLEM. I had a smaller Ball joint Press so i used a dewalt saw with metal blade cut it short poped it out. As for the all the other U Joints. just smashed my pickle fork in untill they all poped. Just remember when RE-Installing screw the specs and tighten the hell outta them. I did mine to spec and was getting clunking when turning untill i torqued way higher. I had to put a washer on my ball joint so i could get the pin in with the nut in the proper place. Heres some pics it may help

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...500-sport.html

Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

He's working on a 4x4. And only replacing the upper BJ.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Thanks zman didnt realize. those 4x4 can be a bit more tricky huh :P

Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Should replace them both anyway, since you are in there...... no point in only doing half the job.... it will just give you the opportunity to do this trick again next summer.... do them both, and be done with it.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

everyone says bang on the knuckle including the shop manual but how do u bang on the knuckle and knock it off if the ball joint is in the way????

Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

I also like how the only ball join that hasnt been replaced is the passanger side upper or at least the only one that wasnt replaced with MOOG ball joints, yet the drivers side upper is what the shop said is bad. Of course I still cant get that damn ball joint out either I have the pickle fork all the way in and it hasnt budged. I'm just super pissed by now.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Get yourself two BIG hammers. (I use three pound single jacks.) Hold one hammer against one side of the knuckle where the stud of the ball joint goes thru. HIT the other side HARD with the other hammer. Three of four good whacks, and it should fall right off.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
S S0DEN
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Get yourself two BIG hammers. (I use three pound single jacks.) Hold one hammer against one side of the knuckle where the stud of the ball joint goes thru. HIT the other side HARD with the other hammer. Three of four good whacks, and it should fall right off.
This works well, dont be afraid - it is stronger then you think it is...

Quick Reply: I cant get the knuckle off. Upper ball joint and wheel bearing are off help!