2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wideband A/F with true duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
OK, so I won't make that recommendation any more. I just assumed that getting a reading from only one bank is not optimal for tuning and performance wise. But, of course, unless there is one on each side, and the PCM/tuner can differentiate. The point is mute. Of course, if it's in an H or X, the PCM will at least even things out.
For what we're doing one side is good enough. But everyone should be reading plugs anyway if they are really concerned....For what it's worth, I haven't looked at plug in my Dakota in 4 years...I trust my Wideband.

EDIT: I'm going with a Holley 950HP carb on the Dakota....I'm tired of the PCM telling me what I can and can't do...On the 98 Ram...Stock is good, but I might open up the exhaust....There's only so much you can do with the JTEC computer.

Last edited by Adobedude; 07-10-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
For what we're doing one side is good enough.

I believe that for sure, thanks.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OT: Adobe,

How much does your wideband A/F typically swing around? There are times when mine will flux at idle about .5 points, and swing even more at cruising. Just trying to gauge if that is normal. I know the sample rate can effect it a lot, but mine is set to the lowest sample rate possible which I think is 3 samples a second.

Running an Innovate LC-1 Wideband.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 07-10-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
OT: Adobe,

How much does your wideband A/F typically swing around? There are times when mine will flux at idle about .5 points, and swing even more at cruising. Just trying to gauge if that is normal. I know the sample rate can effect it a lot, but mine is set to the lowest sample rate possible which I think is 3 samples a second.

Running an Innovate LC-1 Wideband.
I don't watch my gauge...I'm busy.

But I data log a few runs and read em on my Lap Top....I'm rich across the board, but with the cam I'm running...It's normal: 236/242 547/548 @108º, in at 104º.

EDIT: when i do look at the gauge, it's all over the place.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were asking about Turbos...I'm guessing you have big plans, with Dual 3's, you're set for any mod...And Magnum motors like to breathe, and you must breathe out befor you can breathe in.

I started with Dual 2.5's on my Dakota, went dual 3s...Now I'm upgrading to dual 3.5s. Had I planned for the future, I'd be $$$ ahead.

If all your are doing is exhaust, with no future mods, replace the Y-Pipe (no cat), get a better muffler....Call it good.

If planning on future mods, get some mid length headers, not shorties, and dual 3" pipes with an x or H pipe. 3" Magnaflos are some of the least restrictive mufflers out there...you don't need or want back pressure.

EDIT: I forgot Pacesetter makes some long tubes for a Gen II Ram....Maybe someone will chime in.
How about doug thorleys? Or as someone mentioned farther down SLP?? Also what do you think of my idea about running the duals together right at the end into a single side exit? I just don't like the look of twin out the rear. Plus, a single side then could allow for me a moderate sized tip-4/5" prob 5" (I just want a CTD too bad ) haha

Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Dual 3's...Bigger is better. Don't buy into the back pressure myth, these things like and need to breathe. And you're set for any future mods.

EDIT: Unless you go with M1, cam, ported heads etc, and have a way to trim fuel...You don't need bigger injectors. On my Dakota I'm still rich with 24's and my list of mods is a mile long....
Its not about backpressure, its about scavenging. The large diameter pipe is fine if you want to drag race, as the engine spends most of its time in the upper RPM range. However, he is not building a truck to race.... that I am aware of..... and the dual three inch would indeed be way overkill, and thrash his low end grunt. (unless he wanted for floor it from every stop sign.....) A single three inch exhaust will be just about perfect for what he needs.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@BuckSlayer if ya dont like the dual exit you could angle them out behind the tires or just dump them at the muffler

Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Its not about backpressure, its about scavenging. The large diameter pipe is fine if you want to drag race, as the engine spends most of its time in the upper RPM range. However, he is not building a truck to race.... that I am aware of..... and the dual three inch would indeed be way overkill, and thrash his low end grunt. (unless he wanted for floor it from every stop sign.....) A single three inch exhaust will be just about perfect for what he needs.
In another thread, and on other forums he's been asking about a Turbo, and how to tune it...etc

But I agree with you. Like I said, if he's stayinng close to stock he should just get a Y-pipe, better muffler and call it good...Screw the 3" pipe.

Who knows what he's really gonna do...?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Buck Slayer
Professional

im eventually will be getting a remote turbo like hans 5.2 but due to a lack of funds (because of a 2500 conversion and black xd hoss' and new skins) i wont be able to this summer. but yes a turbo is in the future. i just like to ask things as they come to mind.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Buck Slayer
Professional

Originally Posted by kd5taa
@BuckSlayer if ya dont like the dual exit you could angle them out behind the tires or just dump them at the muffler
i also like the single side exit because then people really just dont know what you have under there, and i like that!

Quick Reply: Wideband A/F with true duals