2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wideband A/F with true duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you still plan on going turbo, stick with a single 3", otherwise you'll be tearing everything out down the road.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, how about headers still though?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,285 Likes on 3,032 Posts

If you are going to do a remote mount turbo, your headers will still be just fine.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional

Like it will be fine to get some?? I'm still stuck with my manifolds now. I commented this earlier I think, I know a lot of people run pacesetters on here, someone else mentioned I think some made by SLP, and what about doug thorleys?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There are a variety of manufacturers that make various flavors of headers for our trucks, shorties AND long tubes. The PaceSetter long tubes are popular as they are about half the price (or less...) than most of the others.

That said, headers of any description will be better than the stock manifolds, although, the worst piece in the stock system is the Y pipe..... You want as much flow as you can get on the upstream side from the turbo... more flow equals more power.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional

I have some aspects of my exhaust pieced together, a magnaflow y pipe (will that be sufficient?), and a magnaflow hi flow cat. The cat back will be a flowmaster. All 3".

Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, anything is better than stock. Is the y pipe a separate piece? Or, does it come with the cat?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hammer, over in the 3rd gen FAQ has a chart on flows from various mufflers.. If you haven't purchased yet, you may want to give that a read.. In short though: FM's have NOT mastered flow- they flow only slightly better than OE.. They sound real good though as they use a chambered approach.. MagnaFlow and Borla use mostly baffled approaches, which 'whoosh' as opposed to 'rumble'.. they don't sound as good, but they breathe FAR better by NOT producing back pressure.

I have a magna true x dual in dual out muffler.. I swear, you can drop a golf ball THROUGH it w/o touching the sides it is so open.. Again, it whooshes more than rumbles, but it flat out breathes.. I have a pair of magna-flow high flow's no more than 18" in front of the muffler, so I get pretty decent scavenging I'm thinking..

If you are still planning, and haven't bought anything yet- it would do you a lot of justice to break out the calculator and measure/fit every aspect of that exhaust before-hand, and while taking into consideration future mod's. Just my thoughts on the matter.

good luck dude!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, anything is better than stock. Is the y pipe a separate piece? Or, does it come with the cat?
Its a totally separate piece.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There are a variety of manufacturers that make various flavors of headers for our trucks, shorties AND long tubes. The PaceSetter long tubes are popular as they are about half the price (or less...) than most of the others.

That said, headers of any description will be better than the stock manifolds, although, the worst piece in the stock system is the Y pipe..... You want as much flow as you can get on the upstream side from the turbo... more flow equals more power.
Heard anything regarding doug thorleys, or the SLP?

Quick Reply: Wideband A/F with true duals