2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Did you have reverse when the solenoid was not seated correctly? Just curious, as I suspect he has other issues.
I did.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:02 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, will be dropping trans pan tomorrow to check gov solenoid and rear band adjustment. I don't know if I hoe strut fell out again - meaning no damage. Will probably look at servo to see if I damaged seal putting it in. Hope it is easy fix.

Also planning to replace water pump and timing set when I do kegger mod (AFTER transmission is fixed). But i am confused on timing. Parts man does not show tensioner, and service manual omits it as well. I have been provided a link (cannot remember it off the top of my head but I printed the page and its in the garage - mopar performance I think). It shows a tensioner.

Is this a good add on? Are there already bolt holes in block to hold it?

Old 09-18-2011, 03:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Default Transmission fluid

So I am draining the transmission to take a look inside.

When I filled it Friday, I put in 6 quarts of fluid after putting the valve body back in.

Name:  RamtransfillFriday.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  76.6 KB

Today, I am draining it to pull pan to see if I have governor installed wrong and to see why I do not have reverse. First attempt, the strut on rear band fell out. Will be checking adjustment and als look at seals on rear servo to make sure I did not damage seals when I installed it.

But as I am draining fluid, this is all that is coming out!

Name:  RamtransdrainSunday.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  52.2 KB

I inserted a clean tie wrap into drain to make sure nothing was blocking the hole. Anyone have any idea why when I put 6 quarts in after last drain, I only get about 2 quarts out! I did check fluid level this afternoon before I bagan and it was just shy of max line.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

With the drain plug facing down, the inner nut makes a lip about 1/2" high, so there is some of your fluid sitting a half inch deep across the bottom of your pan. there is a good amount in the filter as well, and if you crack the seal on the VB, more will dump out.

If you checked it in park, it will read artificially high.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

T chain tensioner is an after market part, it replaces the camshaft thrust plate and oiling bracket. The bolts that hold the thrust plate on are used for the tensioner as well.

check the torque on those thrust plate bolts, it ain't very much. Don't over do it.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:47 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
With the drain plug facing down, the inner nut makes a lip about 1/2" high, so there is some of your fluid sitting a half inch deep across the bottom of your pan. there is a good amount in the filter as well, and if you crack the seal on the VB, more will dump out.

If you checked it in park, it will read artificially high.

Thanks. I checked it in neutral (learned that here on DF!). Also, I know that since I have only the front end lifted up, there is more inside at the back of the pan, and more will come out when I drop the VB. (I hate removing the VB- park rod is more than slightly difficult to get put in and clipped) But it is still far short of the 6 quarts I put in. Just strange.

(before anyone notices and mentions it - the welding on the exhaust at the cat looks like crap - it was that way when i got the truck - another project for later.)

Also, discovered why I do not have reverse - again.

Name:  SundayRamrearbandadj.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  64.2 KB

I thought I had this in correctly the last time, but it is not easy installing from the under side. I am installing the strut with the long dimension against the band and the lever. As you can see, the adjusting screw is turned in almost all the way before it was backed out 2 turns. I wonder if I am getting the strut against the clip on the band, and not down inside of it.

Also, I looked at governor solenoid and do not know if I have the plate that locks it into place in the correct groove. Here is a photo of that.
Name:  Sundaygovsolenoidposition.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 09-18-2011, 06:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

There is no groove under it, so I'd say you got it right.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Default Governor

I pulled the governor solenoid out and compared with the old one. There is only one groove on thse that the plate will fit around.

Name:  Ramgovsolenoids-oldandnew.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  60.4 KB

Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

iirc 98 and under did not come with the chain tensioner 99 up did. Here's the Mopar part number for you.

TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER Replaces the thrust plate,designed for all A engines and 3.9L,5.2L and 5.9L magnum engines.

P5007709 Timing chain tensioner $30.00

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-18-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:57 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

My 01 did not have one stock. It was aftermarket.

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Problem