2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by gdstock
I pulled the governor solenoid out and compared with the old one. There is only one groove on thse that the plate will fit around.

That upgraded one I have does have 2 grooves, that is what got me.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would have snake bit me as well. That's why I pulled it out to see how come I got it right! With only one choice, my chances get better!

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 PM
gdstock
Legend

Reinstalled strut on rear band and adjusted carefully (according to post by aim). Got VB installed (twice - forgot to connect and clip park rod the first time). Installed Dearale pan, filled with fluid (carefully).

Now have reverse, 1st, and 2nd. When in Drive and I punch it, it revs way up (4000 rpm). It will not upshift from 2 to 3. Even drove it shifting manually from 1st to 2nd, to Drive - all with OD turned off. Checked throttle valve adjustment and it is correct. Will wait until tomorrow during daylight to adjust front band. If it is front band, does anyone have any idea if it is too loose or too tight?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 AM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hijack your thread but since were on the subject of solenoids . On my 5.9 when it shifts from 3rr to od it always thuds basicly. It feals like it has slight delay then thuds when it shifts to od. It hasn't slipped once since iv owned it and I have put on closing 10k miles. But i have yet to figure this out. Today I turned od off drove around for awhile like that . Then when I turned od back on it started shifting smootly.

I am not sure if it will stay like this but could thie mean i might have a sticky or partially clogged solenoid . That's what one mechanic friend said and suggested I either replace, clean it or flush the tranny... i think fpushing is outa the question.

I'm wondering if driving in 3rd with od off for a long period of time could have dislogged the crap on The solenoid or somethi-g . Is this plausible ?

I'm typing on my phone sorry if I misspelled or something

Last edited by candymancan; 09-19-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine would not shift to 3rd when the governor solenoid was in the wrong bracket slot, as there was too little line pressure. It was basically venting out from around the solenoid.

That is probably not your problem, but the line pressure very well could be. Not enough pressure to actuate the shift. Did you mess with the line pressure screw at all?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Mine would not shift to 3rd when the governor solenoid was in the wrong bracket slot, as there was too little line pressure. It was basically venting out from around the solenoid.

That is probably not your problem, but the line pressure very well could be. Not enough pressure to actuate the shift. Did you mess with the line pressure screw at all?

Not intentionally - but I did have a trans tech in Abilene look over VB to make sure I had all the srings in the correct places. I will look over VB drawings and instructions to see where this is and how it needs to be set.

I may try to get him to come and look at it - wonder how much beer I'll need to provide?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
Not intentionally - but I did have a trans tech in Abilene look over VB to make sure I had all the srings in the correct places. I will look over VB drawings and instructions to see where this is and how it needs to be set.

I may try to get him to come and look at it - wonder how much beer I'll need to provide?
he's a trans tech.. I'm thinking beer doesn't work for him.. maybe offer something from a blender instead.. that should retain his attention.. or, maybe something 'stirred, not shaken'..

Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual
he's a trans tech.. I'm thinking beer doesn't work for him.. maybe offer something from a blender instead.. that should retain his attention.. or, maybe something 'stirred, not shaken'..

Well, this is Texas and it is like margaritaville at my house sometimes. If he like Scotch, I can fix him up there. And if he can resolve it, I will break out the single malt from the back of the cabinet.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
gdstock
Legend

Does anyone know at what range (rpm) these shoud shift from 1st to 2nd - 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to OD, assuming normal (not racing or punching it) accelleration?

I just don't know about the shifting - but I have been drving a Tacoma 4x4 5 sp manual for years and many miles. Maybe it is just my expectation for shift points is wrong. Can't find any reference to this. (wish I could monitor pressure at test ports)

Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So straight from the horse's mouth MonteC, he told me "If you want firmer shifts, crank down on the pressure regulator adjuster. I think for gas motors they say between .300 and .350 between the adjuster plate and the back of the retainer. I try to get as close to .350 as possible and the transmissions shift good, not sloppy or soft but firm but not too firm. If your feeling froggy, crank it down to .400-.450, thats what they recommend for the diesels."
I know you have to pull your pan again, but it's well worth is if your line pressure isn't spot on. Here's the FSM drawing of the adjuster setup. I adjusted mine to .350 just like recommended. Also I'm wondering what this trans guy did with the throttle valve and the spring spacers that came with your sure cure. Did he reinstall the stock spring with shims? Did he install the purple with shims? Ir vice versa with no shims...try the line pressure adjustment and we can go from there. The picture here is a little blurry, but it did capture the adjuster screw and plate fairly well.

Name:  LinePressureAdjuster.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  IMG_56151.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  70.3 KB

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Problem