2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Transfer , possible shiuft fork or vaccume switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
etdavenport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Transfer , possible shift fork or vaccume switch?

I was on the road today and my truck suddenly clanked real loud and ground a bit then proceeded to loose all drive capacity. I had to coast to the side. When I tried to put it into park, it make a terrible grinding sound. After playing with the t case shifter for a few moments I got it to catch again and it would go into drive.

I am pretty certain that it is the the shift fork in the tcase, but before I go out and replaced my t-case, I wanted to see if there was a chance that it could be the vacuum switch or something simple like that. I realize that is a long shot, but still. [id rather just buy a $600 reman case than pay a mechanic $400 to fix the old one]

thanks!

Last edited by etdavenport; 07-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Vacuum switch will not give you those symptoms...... an output shaft snap ring that has been broken for a while will though...... If it made expensive noises..... and is you only driver.... verify the t-case is bad, and if it is, replace it.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

"terrible grinding sound", TC is toast.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 AM
etdavenport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
"terrible grinding sound", TC is toast.
I got it into 4 low and was able to drive it home, 15 miles at 30mph....lol but it will not go in or out of anything else, and despite being in 4 low, the front drive shat isnt turning...re-manned t-case here I come... I needed an indexing ring anyway to fix the extreme angles on my drive line.. This truck is turning out to be a load of fun....

My ABS and brake light are still on too even after replacing both the sensor on the diff and the gears [abs ring was missing teeth when I had 4.56's installed. Pinion and ring were missing teeth also...]

Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Need to get the ABS codes read, and see what it is whining about. Might be as simple as the brake switch. (at the pedal.)

Sounds like a good excuse for an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Bad Transfer , possible shiuft fork or vaccume switch?