2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Ram 1500 5.9 auto trans. SCT Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
jam23
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Ram 1500 5.9 auto trans. SCT Tuner Question

Hey guys im new here on the forum, just picked up a 1996 ram 1500 single cab, 5.9, aut trans 4x4 all the power options and i love it. 96k on it with a leer cap for $2700!! yeehaw! I love the way it drives but I have kind of low mpg and I want a little power. I was thinking of getting an SCT tuner. Will it work for my year truck? I have an OBD-II port if that helps.

On another note... The truck is at 96k and the front o2 sensor just went. I replaced it, did the spark plugs, and cleaned my throttle plates. I saw a little film of oil at the bottom of the Intake. I think im starting to hear a little ping when first taking off and my fuel economy sucks. Do you guys think its time for me to order the new aluminum plate, gaskets, bolts, etc? Any help would be great guys.
Thanks,
Jared

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Replace the plenum before you bother with the tuner, or it'll just ping more.

I believe hemifever can tune your '96, he'll ask for your VIN when you order to verify. I think there are a very few '96 models that can't be tuned for some reason.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Was in same boat as you but 200,000 miles heres my thread of all the stuff I did which will most likely help you (the pics).

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...500-sport.html

Sounds like since your O2 sensor went your plenum plate gasket is gone. You should get the plate replaced and while your there theres lots you can do since you have to go deep to get to it.
I believe you can get SCT tuner on 96 as long as your ODB II. Most likely since your front O2 sensor is gone, your Cat is clogged too. Bang it with a mallet and see if you hear crap falling. If so you can gut it if your not in California, otherwise replace it. Looks like your in for:

Plenum Plate + all new bolts + intake bolts
Catalytic Converter
Thermostat + gasket
Engine bypass hose
New radiator hoses (since you have to drain the coolant anyway)
Fuel Injector cleaner
Kegger Mod (if you want)
DISTRIBUTOR CAP! (its 20-30 bucks DO IT and get brass) + Distributor rotor

Doing Cap, Rotor, and Plugs I went from 10mpg to 16-17mpg. But thats after 150k abuse on one distributor cap Youll see the pics ;P

Im sure you will find other stuff while your in there like I did. I also went in and did timing chain, water pump, oil pan gasket and cleaned and painted Good luck man and welcome to DodgeForum!

Last edited by TheycallmeLaramie; 07-21-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a 1996 model year it has to have OBDII by law so yes it can be tuned by hemifever you will notice less gain than most unless you have had an update by dodge.(According to Sean aka hemifever we do not have the same torque management that the 97's and newer do)

I would do the plenum plate and the tuneup at the very least before the tune, also add a 180 t-stat as it is reccomended by Sean.

Nice job on the low mileage truck and these things were never known to have good gas mileage put power to the ground is where we make up for it

Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM
jam23
Rookie

Thanks for all the help gus. After I get the motor on my 78 Powerwagon back together I will begin the plenum fix on the dodge. After that I would love to do a flowmaster, gut cat, headers, cold air intake and tuner. Do you guys think those power mods would make a real difference?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

Instead of gutting the cat, replace it with something that flows better, either an off-road y-pipe, or a magnaflow high flow direct fit unit. The y pipe is a big restriction, and unless you do something about that, nothing else will really make a dent.

Fixing the assorted problems and making sure everything is up to snuff before you start on mods, is a very good plan......

Old 07-23-2011, 04:13 PM
jam23
Rookie

Thanks for the advice man. It all comes down to money for me. I'm only 17 not getting near the amount of hours I would like at the shop I work in. I will probably just do the flowmaster, intake plenum fix, and maybe the timing gears while im down there. Does anyone know what that kegger mod does to the power curve? Also is that kegger mod good in combination with the tuner? Im really looking for that "gobs of low end torque" feel, mostly for easy daily driving and mpg. Over time im gonna build this truck up much like i did with my old raptor 686. (one bad *** quad i sold for this truck!) I plan on having this thing for 10 years... well it would be nice.
Thanks
Jared

Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Kegger mod shortens the intake runners a bit, thus, raises the power band/torque curve by a hundred RPM or two. Also lets you make a bit more power up top. I did my kegger when I fixed the plenum, so, I can't make a direct comparison, but, I LIKE the way my truck runs. More power would be good.... but, that will come in time.

Timing chain and gears made the single biggest gain on my 170000 mile truck.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 PM
jam23
Rookie

you think its time to do my timing chain and gears on my Ram?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

With 150K on the clock? You bet.

Quick Reply: 1996 Ram 1500 5.9 auto trans. SCT Tuner Question