2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove lower bumper fascia

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 AM
GZakk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove lower bumper fascia

Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I want to remove the lower bumper "fascia" (gray cover) from the bumper, but I don't know how, or what is holding it on. I hit a deer a while back and I can see I snapped what looked like a clip. (Driver side) In the picture you can see a seperation. (picture added in attached thumbnails and link) https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I want to take the cover off because I'm doing some custom work to the bumper itself, but I cannot find anywhere how to remove it, or what type of clips hold it on.

Help?

Attached Thumbnails How to remove lower bumper fascia-imag0537.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 04:19 AM
96magnumram
Professional

There are some tab type clips that surround the bottom of it, that squeeze into holes on the bumper itself...then on the top where it meets the top bumper cover, there will be a push fastener on each side of the bumper.

To remove the lower cover, you just remove the push fasteners there where it meets the top cover, then crawl under the truck and squeeze the tabs on each of the clips and push them out of the holes...be careful if you are planning on reusing the cover...those clips usually break and the tabs can be hard as hell to squeeze in and push out.

If you do end up breaking the tabs, a new one can be got for pretty cheap through Pershing on eBAY.

http://www.pershingauto.com/new-fron...dge-ram-t.html

Last edited by 96magnumram; 07-24-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 AM
GZakk
Rookie

Thank you for the advise! I'm trying to take it off without breaking it because waiting for the ups guy to bring the new stuff is agonizing. (Rural location)

Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 AM
96magnumram
Professional

Not a prob...it looks like one of those clips are already broke on the upper side of the cover..they are just like plastic welded on and tend to break easily...I had one break simply from driving down dirt roads...old fragile parts...lol

Old 07-26-2011, 05:14 AM
GZakk
Rookie

I broke it... Got a little frustrated..
Patiently waiting for the new one, 4-5 days. hey on the bright side, I don't have to paint it. Its coming black already.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Duckdodger2

Mine was broke on one side, removed it and left it off, truck looks good without it, however I do plan to replace it one day soon, but no rush.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 AM
GZakk
Rookie

Replaced and bumper is finished.

After the picture was taken I noticed my top plastic was sitting right, the clips on the top plastics were giving up. I ended up drilling them out and putting black blots to hold the top plastic in place. Way better hold, and gives the truck a more aggressive look. Still waiting on bumper brackets to put my rancher grille guard on.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Duckdodger2

Looks good, I replaced my lower fascia with a black one just like you did but left my bumper chrome. Did you just paint over the chrome?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Hey GZakk, looks like you have a sport model 96 like mine. Im very jealous of your front bumper and grill. Can you shoot me some links? Is that the replacement grill they sell on ebay for like 40 that says it wont fit our sport model? Been thinking about a nice custom duraflex front bumper because of how ugly the stock front bumper is and an OE replacement is 350$ here and a duraflex one is like 220$.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
GZakk
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
Hey GZakk, looks like you have a sport model 96 like mine. Im very jealous of your front bumper and grill. Can you shoot me some links? Is that the replacement grill they sell on ebay for like 40 that says it wont fit our sport model? Been thinking about a nice custom duraflex front bumper because of how ugly the stock front bumper is and an OE replacement is 350$ here and a duraflex one is like 220$.
You know I was kinda thinking the front end looked like a sport model.. I wish I could help but the truck isn't a sports model. Truck is a 2500. I just painted the Chrome red.

Quick Reply: How to remove lower bumper fascia