2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Washing the engine(Help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Mr.Fancypants
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing the engine(Help)

Washing the engine wrecks my truck. If I can even get it to start it idles like crap but if I rev it it's fine but if i put it in drive it dies immediately. I have to let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours to dry. What am I getting wet that would cause this? If it was the distributor it should take longer to dry shouldn't it? Having to get pushed out of the carwash really sucks.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:00 PM
zeekxxx
Captain
Default RE: Washing the engine(Help)

Never get the distrib wet ! I say again ... Never get it wet !

Water can sit for days under the cap and all it takes is a few drops. Thats why serious off roaders seal them in home made enclosures or at the least apply some sort of silicone to the out side so water slides off. Also as your truck ages the wires and connectors can get loose and all it takes is a little bit in the wrong area to wreck your day. When I am forced to wash it I cover the distrib with plastic and I dont wash any wires ( This is very hard ) Some light mist is ok but high power water from the power washer forces its way into the connections and can short. So if you must wash your engine buy a can of gunk engine cleaner and spray it very carefully. Then use a garden hose ( less pressure ) and rinse away the gunk. This is a common sence thing here. But the rule of thumb is if it has anything to do with carrying electricity DONT WATER IT.

Also beware of putting water in to your dipstick holes for the auto trans and the engine oil.

You think trucks should be more rugged but there are made for water coming up from the wheel wheels not from the top of the engine down. Thats why they have hoods... lol

Good luck and yes some people get lucky and can sit there with a beer and a garden hose watering everything in sight and it starts up fine. Im not that lucky.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:47 PM
banwhalen
Rookie

I never, ever squirt water anywhere near the engine area. Faux pas. I used to in the old days w/my Charger and other non computerized engines. But of course I sealed up the few electronics: distrib, iginition control , alternator etc. I would never Gunk my new vehicles w/all the sensors and electronics.

I bought my Ram new, and have kept the engine spotless for 8 years this october.

I use Windex and and a damp spunge for the hoses, not wires. No dripping water either. I keep it up a couple times a year doing this as well as the underside of the truck. Really, my 98 looks like it was just made last week. 56k on the odometer now. It is no longer my commuter, so the mileage has been kept down. If you need to degrease it, use the hand cleaner stuff and paper towels. You can control where it goes and only use it on the greasy areas, saving the rest of your engine area the need to be hosed down.

Call me ****, but by taking care of your vehicles, you get many years out of them. I have my first car, 1973 Dodge Charger w/400 cid . I bought it in 79 and have taken good care of it. And is still looks awesome for being 32 years old.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:10 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I always wash mine at the car wash- the whole thing. I have never had a problem. If I can take the truck through water engine compartment high I dont believe there is a problem. Did you wash the engine with the vehicle off? If so that is the cause, always wash it with the vehicle running. My experience.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:52 PM
1500sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mr.Fancypants

Washing the engine wrecks my truck. If I can even get it to start it idles like crap but if I rev it it's fine but if i put it in drive it dies immediately. I have to let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours to dry. What am I getting wet that would cause this? If it was the distributor it should take longer to dry shouldn't it? Having to get pushed out of the carwash really sucks.
You may have some kind of bare wire that is shorting out due to the water. I had the same exact symptons as your truck but not while washing it. Happened while driving it. Found out it was a wire in the hornace going across the front of the firewall was bare and grounding out. Got that fixed and runs fine.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:08 PM
nmason
Veteran

i also have one of those "looks like new" engines in my 96. i clean it every couple of weeks. engine off, cover everything in engine cleaner and then power wash it off. then use stoner brand trim revitaliser on anything i want to shine. i have not one had any sort of issues with it.

although once with my friends intrepid it died every time after we washed the engine. ended up being a seal around the computer was leaking.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Tani1500
Champion

i would cover up everthing like everyone said, alternator, computer, distributer..... just be careful were you point the hose.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:17 PM
richardmoore
Professional

Whenever I know I'm going to wash my engine I let it sit over night first and wash it first thing in the morning so that its not hot, you should never wash it if its hot, i.e., after you've driven to the carwash. I also soak the engine comparment with good cleaner so that it won't take much water to just rinse it off. Be careful on spraying the computer.

Quick Reply: Washing the engine(Help)