2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine trouble need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 PM
DodgeRam5.9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok il look in the manual and see if I can find anything. I also noticed when I put the SCT tuner on the truck the fuel pump runs constantly and I have to remove the relay for the fuel system to avoid building up too much pressure once the tune is on and I unplug the tuner it is fine not sure if that has anything to do with my problem just throwing it out there

Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine does not run constantly with the SCT tuner.

You might have something else going on, like fuel leak, stuck open injector, broken fuel regulator, etc.

That can also cause issues. Fuel pressure should be 49 psi +/- 5 psi max.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

96 service manual can be found here.

The procedure you are looking for is on page 8D-26, and continues to the next page. Unfortunately, the 'final touch' for the procedure requires the scan tool. Re-doing this might help you...... worth a shot at least.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
DodgeRam5.9
Rookie

I could not get that like to work on my phone I'll have to try it on my PC at home...I think I will also try to test the injectors and see if all is good there. It only takes a few mins and it certainly can't hurt

Old 07-30-2011, 03:05 PM
DodgeRam5.9
Rookie

Ok I looked it up and figured out the procedure...now I have 2 questions where and what is the DRB port under the hood and what kind of a tool do I need to access it

Old 07-30-2011, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's the communications port that you plug your scan tool into to chat with the computer..... I have never tried to find mine.... I always thought it was up under the dash, above the drivers knees.... No huh?

You need a scan tool that can read data, and display it in (sorta) real time. I don't know if the fellers at the parts store will do that trick or not. If you have a laptop, you can get a cable for under 50 bucks, and software for free..... to take the place of the scan tool. You won't be able to change anything, (without spending some bucks....) but, you WILL be able to see ALL SORTS of data. Makes troubleshooting performance problems MUCH easier.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's the communications port that you plug your scan tool into to chat with the computer..... I have never tried to find mine.... I always thought it was up under the dash, above the drivers knees.... No huh?

You need a scan tool that can read data, and display it in (sorta) real time. I don't know if the fellers at the parts store will do that trick or not. If you have a laptop, you can get a cable for under 50 bucks, and software for free..... to take the place of the scan tool. You won't be able to change anything, (without spending some bucks....) but, you WILL be able to see ALL SORTS of data. Makes troubleshooting performance problems MUCH easier.
You are correct.
Page 7-14 of the manual states:
The DRB connects to the data link connector (Fig. 31) located at the
lower edge of instrument panel near the steering column.

Dave

Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think they moved at some point, the 96 manual has this to say:

The data link connector is located in the engine compartment.
Gain access to the SET SYNC screen on
the DRB

Page 8D-27

Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
DodgeRam5.9
Rookie

I have located a 6 pin connecter on the passenger side of the truck about 1 inch down off the main harness near the plumbing for the a/c it comes right off the main harness tho could this be the port I am looking for...it has 3 rows of 2 pins and the first 2 sets of pins are horizontal and below that there Is another set of 2 pins that are vertical

Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, here's where it gets interesting.... went and looked at my truck. There is indeed an OBDII port above the drivers knees, under the dash...... I also have the same six pin connector that you found. At this point, I don't know if Dodge used that connector under the hood for the DRB, or what..... I am also unsure if you can get the data you want from the OBDII port under the dash..... Got any friends that work in a shop, that have a good scan tool??

Quick Reply: engine trouble need help!