2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'97 3.9 with no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 PM
NYJohn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt the injectors and coil Asd all 12volts? Seprete circuit then the 5volt cam sensor, tps or would that be wrong.?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Yep, you are correct sir. 5 volt supply comes from the PCM.

Learn somethin' new every day.

Of course, in hindsight, it DOES make sense, as the PCM will disengage the ASD relay if it doesn't see the engine turning after three seconds. If the crank sensor were part of that circuit, once the ASD was disengaged, the PCM would NEVER see the crank turning, as the crank sensor wouldn't have power either.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

So the ASD pin 86 should be ground until the PCM decides otherwise? That brings me back to square one. I think I'll try a new coil and see where that gets me. Hopefully mobile.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

ASD pin 86 should be hot when the ignition is on, that's the power supply side for the coil to engage the relay. Pin 85 is the ground circuit, controlled by the PCM. (should only be grounded when the PCM tells it to, otherwise, should be open.)

Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Ok, pin 86 is hot with the ignition on on. I finally got the coil off after much fighting and cursing, and I'm thinking its not so good. It's cracked all over on the bottom, and the thin plates that go up the one side of it are all pulling away from each other and cracked as well. Primary resistance reads 1.5, but the secondary wouldn't stabilize to get a reading, just bounced all over. So, I'll order up a new one and hope.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Ok, got the new coil, and now it starts only with the throttle on the floor, and it shrieks for 1/2 a minute or so. The plugs are soaked with fuel. So it's flooding hard. The only thing I can think of is that I had both the coolant temp and the intake air temp sensors off the manifold when I cleaned it in the varsol tank. I thought I put them back in there proper place, but maybe not, and it thinks the engine's way colder then it is? One sensor had one wire to it, and the other has two wires. One on either side of the thermo. Where does each belong? I think I have the single wire one on the passenger side.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Doesn't matter, they both insert into the coolant passage that leads to the thermostat. The single wire feller is for the gauge in the dash, the two wire guy is what the PCM pays attention to for engine temp. Check and be sure it is plugged in good, and the connection is clean. Did you happen to use any sealant on the threads? That will sometimes cause some issues. (although, you wouldn't think it should matter with a two wire sensor......)

Old 08-04-2011, 02:39 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Hmmmm, ok. I'll check into those in the morning. So then the ait sensor is the one on the passenger side near the top of the keg? If so, I remember that one had a good coating of oil crud on it. Can I clean it off with varsol or brake cleaner without wrecking it? Any other thoughts on why els it would flood so badly?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IAT sensor is just a thermometer wire suspended in a cage, very easy to damage. I don't normally recommend autozone for electrical parts, but the IAT is a fairly simplistic design and they are significantly cheaper there than other places.

a bad coolant temp sensor can wreak havoc on your engine. I had one fail reading full hot, and the engine would detonate like nothing I've ever heard. Any amount of throttle off idlecaused massive ping.

Might want to verify TPS voltage and throttle position. It's best with a scanner, as it'll interpret how much throttle the PCM detects from the TPS. if you aren't at zero throttle at startup, you could be flooding the engine.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Ok, the tps reads .6v with key on, closed. and 3.8 full open. My Chiltons manual says this is within range. The connecter on the coolant temp sensor is loose and wiggles on the sensor side, I cleaned it out and it reads 87.7 on the 20k range I think. Wiggling it made no difference.

Quick Reply: '97 3.9 with no spark