2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Joey Buentello
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing question

I'm here is to ask if there is anything wrong with running my timing 180 degrees off. Since I stabbed the dist 180 off all I did was change the #1 plug to the # 6 plug spot on the dist cap. Should his affect anything?
Finally got a buddy willin to help me change my track bar thats been sitting in my garage for 6 months, So well check it tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be ok

Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It should run, but that isn't the way I'd do it. I'd pull the disty again and get it right.

Reason being is if anything goes wrong down the road there's another set of variables you have to factor in to solve a problem, or explain to people and then they have to change their normal way of thinking to even attempt to help you. Most won't bother at that point, too much to think about and account for, just to get to the real problem.

When you start being sloppy with your work, you tend to paint yourself into a corner later down the road.

I don't mean any of this as a slam or putdown. I'm merely saying that later down the road, if you have a problem with your vehicle and you brought it to my shop, and asked me what was wrong with your truck, and then started telling me that the disty was in backwards, and I did this here, that there, etc., I'd wonder what you didn't do right and didn't even know about and tell you to take it somewhere else. Nobody wants to fight thru a headache like that.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Joey Buentello
Veteran

Its been running like that for about 7 months. Hey it was my first dist install.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I am rather surprised it will even run that way... Sure, ignition is on the correct cylinder, but, is injector pulse?

What kind of gas mileage are you getting? How does the engine run? Do you think it should have more power than what it does?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Joey Buentello
Veteran

I had motor built by an ASE master tech, called him and told him what I did just after the motor install he told me it was 180 off and that I could just switch #1 on the dist cap, if I didnt want to reinstall the dist. Engine runs fine . This sitution would in no way give me more power. getting about 12 mps, was getting about 10 b4 the rebuild.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Injector pulse would correspond, as the cam sensor and tone ring are both "reversed" as well as the plug wires. The crank sensor just reads the window in the flex plate, but those windows happen at even 45* increments.

If it were a V6, I don't think it would work, as there isn't always an adjacent cylinder on the compression/exhaust stroke cycle. 4 and 8 cylinders are "matched pairs" so to speak. When #1 TDC compression stroke happens, #6 is at TDC exhaust. 8&5, 4&7, and 2&3 are the other matched pairs as they are all 180* away from each other on the distributor firing order.

The crank shaft doesn't know whether it's on the compression or exhaust stoke, at least not on our engines. I wouldn't pull this stunt on the newer hemi's with MDS.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 07-31-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Its my understanding that the tone 'ring' is just a half circle, that interupts a magnetic field for half of a distributor revolution, and the other half is open. While the field is disrupted, the sensor sends a 5 volt signal to the PCM, indicating which "half" of the firing order the engine is on. (this is from the 96 service manual.... don't know if things changed later....)

So, it seems to me, that if the dist was 180 out, even though spark plug firing order could be corrected, it would be firing injectors 180 degrees out of phase........ (firing the injector at a closed valve.....)

Make sense?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Joey Buentello
Veteran

Ill fix it today.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Yes, that is exactly correct about the ring, its 180* of the total revolution. But with the disty in 180* off, the pick up in the cam sensor is 180* off. Starting the firing order at #1 where #6 should be puts the firing order 180* off as well, so everything is lined up "correctly incorrect."

The thing that throws me is the cam overlap, and how that is firing correctly. He must have put the cam in at what he thought was #1 TDC compression, and it was actually #6 TDC compression (cam and crank dots facing each other at 6 & 12 O'clock, then put the engine together and realized it was off and did this to fix the problem instead of tearing everything back apart..

I think thats right, hell, im confusing myself now.

Quick Reply: timing question