2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Really need help with turn signal and 4 way flasher problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011 | 03:30 PM
Island Mountain Farm
|
Default Thanks to you both for your replies

The easy one first. We pulled the plug under the drivers side door so the trailer wiring and rear lights were out of the loop. Fuses still blowing.

ZMan - the steering column idea makes sense, it does have tilt capabilities. The cover will get pulled and the wires inspected.

I'm confused about the headlight switch. My limited abilities to read wiring schematics suggests that there isn't any obvious interaction between the two systems. That said, this is my first Dodge and I've heard from more than one owner and/or mechanic that the electrical wiring on these vehicles isn't their strong point.

At the risk of clouding the issue I should point out that this vehicle was involved in a hard "curbing" (right side) by the prior owners ex-wife. The shop that put it back together did it on the cheap and there have been some issues that needed to be dealt with after I took possession.

Electrically it's got some other weird things going on. I mention them in the remote chance that they have a bearing on the current situation.

-the tachometer comes and goes randomly

-the radio (factory) died gradually over several years and now the test lighting (all possible digit combinations flash through) will come on and go off on its own. Is it really true that the radio is tied into the "computer?" or did I misunderstand another mechanic who told me that.

-the cigarette plug voltage isn't compatible with cell phone chargers or any other accessories.

-the speedometer will hang up at certain speeds and stay stuck until the truck is turned off or sometimes it will reset after it comes to a full stop.

- had an episode where the dashboard lights and tail lights blew their fuse. Problem appeared to resolve itself spontaneously.

It would be fantastic if all these problems had a common source. One that could be repaired and all the issues vanish simultaneously. Not bloody likely, but boy would that be a kick and get back to more profitable work.

Anyhow, the electrical stuff is the only issue this workhorse has had. Hard working, easy starting, fuel sipping and able to handle rough terrain and horrible road conditions. I love this truck and any help I can get resolving this issue(s) will more appreciated than you can imagine.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2011 | 04:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

As far as the headlight switch goes, it is also a common problem. I'd pull it and look. Start with the easy stuff first.

Old 08-18-2011 | 11:41 PM
Island Mountain Farm
|

Got one on order, I'll let you know if it helps.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2011 | 01:27 PM
Spyder31

still...check for a short somewhere in your trailer wiring. Even though it's disconnected, it could still be causing a short somewhere. Had this issue on a Ford once, replaced the trailer wiring and fixed the problem.

Old 10-12-2011 | 10:45 PM
mmidgett

I am not trying to hyjack your thead. But my truck has started doing the same thing.

I have checked all the bulbs. The truck has a flatbed and i thought it was the tail lights them selfs so I cut the wires to them still the same problem. I hooked them back up for now.

I disconnected the wires under the truck at the driver door. I tested it and they didn't blow. So I had to hook them back up b/c I unhooked both plugs and one must have been to the fuel pump. The truck wouldn't start to drive it.

I drove for about a mile cycling the left to right and then the flashers. Bam popped it again.

It only blows when the right turn signal is used and doesn't do i right away some times.

I just want to know if the headlight switch is the problem. Its a 1999 2500 5.9 5spd btw.

Old 10-12-2011 | 10:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't think the headlight switch has anything to do with the turn signals..... You can check the wiring at the headlight switch, but, i would be more inclined to have a look at it in the steering column, at the turn signal switch.

Old 10-13-2011 | 12:01 AM
dlyter09
Champion

ok you said its a factory radio right? This is way out there but give it a shot maybe. Pull the radio and check all wires back there for any cuts or something that could cause it to short. I had my radio installed by a friend and afterwards i kept blowing my headlight fuse along with my instrument panel lights and turn signals. Turned out there was a wire for on the harness behind the radio that wasnt covered and it was shorting out causing my problems. Its worth a shot to check

Old 10-15-2011 | 07:48 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

interesting..does the truck do all this weird **** with the radio and instruments when its not running? sounds like a voltage regulator issue..your signals sound like a different issue remove all signal bulbs front and rear and visually inspect them,make sure none of the filaments are broken and touching give them a light shake to confirm.. either a bulb issue or shorted wiring somewhere most likely the trailer wiring or you received a bed multifunction switch.

Quick Reply: Really need help with turn signal and 4 way flasher problem