2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Really need help with turn signal and 4 way flasher problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011 | 11:59 AM
Island Mountain Farm
|
Question Really need help with turn signal and 4 way flasher problem

Started blowing the fuse for the turn signals and then the 4 way flasher fuse went. Unplugged the harness to the back of the truck, replaced the turn signal switch assembly and now the right turn signal blows the fuse right away. The 4 ways work for awhile and then blow their fuse. The left turn signal works?!?!?!

Checked the right turn signal light assembly, can't find anything wrong.

It appears that the problem must be somewhere from under the dash forward but I'm not really all the good with auto electrical issues. Any thoughts from those of you who are good at this sort of thing?

I've got 38 tons of hay to move and I'm running out of summer, I really need to get this resolved. I live in a very small town and my local resources are limited.

Thanks

Old 08-08-2011 | 12:07 PM
Island Mountain Farm
|
Default If I screwed up and posted this in the wrong place

could you please move it to the correct forum.

I'm getting a little tense about this. I've already spent a chunk of money having one of our local mechanics tell me that what I figured out was accurate. It took me a weekend, took him a day.

Still not working.

Old 08-08-2011 | 01:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You might get more help if you give people all the info about your truck.

And read this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...new-topic.html

Old 08-08-2011 | 01:36 PM
Island Mountain Farm
|

Yep, you're right, I screwed up. Since I don't know how to delete the thread and there doesn't seem to be a way for me to move it I'm not sure what my next move should be. Is it worse to double post or to post in the wrong place. I'm pretty new to this so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Old 08-08-2011 | 01:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Start off by giving the info about the truck, A mod will move it if you are not in the right section.

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:14 PM
Island Mountain Farm
|
Default Hmmm....thought putting it in the garage would do that

and make the information pop up like what you have at the bottom of your posts. Seems like I was mistaken again.

Here goes:

97 Dodge Ram 2500, diesel, manual transmission, 4x4. Nothing pretty to look at, been a farm truck for the past 5 years and it shows. My best friend on the farm, we get a lot of work done together and it pains me when something is wrong and I can't figure out a way to get it fixed.

Did I cover all the bases or is there more information that might be useful?

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You are in the right section. only difference is for questions about the cummins you would go to the diesel section. But , anyway. Remove the covers off of the steering column and inspect all the wires, ifyou have tilt wheel, the wires are prone to damage. Also, I would remove the headlight switch itself and inspect the plug and wires on the back of it also. And btw, welcome to DF,

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Got a trailer harness on that truck? Does the fuse still blow with the rear harness disconnected?

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Got a trailer harness on that truck? Does the fuse still blow with the rear harness disconnected?
His first post says "Unplugged the harness to the back of the truck," .

Old 08-08-2011 | 03:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ooops. So it does. My reading comprehension need some brushing up on.....

You have a short somewhere, I would check bulbs first...... multi-element bulbs can do funny things if one of the filaments falls across the other.....

Quick Reply: Really need help with turn signal and 4 way flasher problem