2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converter slipped in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 PM
2tirefire
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the governor pressure solenoid and sensor as per DIY. Thank you Nolazach! There was a little junk stuck to the top of the solenoid but not much stuff in the screen. I'm following the electrical connectors to the main harness that pops out the side of the tranny, but I'm wonder where is the o/d lock up solenoid? I'm not seeing any more wires. I cant find any threads explaining where these components are. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the links xjarhead69.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

There are two solenoids on the same bracket, that attach to the valve body. I think they are at the front? One is O/D, the other is TCC.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:06 PM
2tirefire
Amateur

I found them, I removed them from valve body but know I'm trying to figure out how to remove the wire harness. I follow it to the side of where the connector is but the harness disappears. From the pictures I've seen for the replacement part, the harness comes with it. Is there more components that need to be removed to get to the connector?

Thanks HeyYou

Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

I beleive you may have to drop the valve body.
If i remember correctly the harness is screwed to the valve body.
Edit: Found a picture, harness is on the left. Mounting screw is just below the blue arrow there in the photo.
Name:  transpics007.jpg
Views: 3481
Size:  209.6 KB

Dave

Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

wiring harness really isn't that long...... if it disappears up behind the valve body, might have to drop it to get it out.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM
2tirefire
Amateur

I was hoping that the valve body didn't have to come out but from the picture that's what looks like has to be done. I had called a friend to ask that question and before he had told me the valve body had to come out he said I was wasting my time replacing these solenoids. With the mileage of the truck and the weak 46re he said to get it rebuilt and forget about it. He knows a shop he get his trannys rebuilt at that will remove, rebuild, and Install for 1100 out the door with 1 year warranty with a 3 day turn around. Thinking I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it before it leaves me stranded. What do you fellow Dodge owners think? I haven't spent any money on parts yet besides a tps.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to drop the valve body to get to the connector.

\Name:  Connector.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  86.0 KB

Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild

Originally Posted by 2tirefire
I was hoping that the valve body didn't have to come out but from the picture that's what looks like has to be done. I had called a friend to ask that question and before he had told me the valve body had to come out he said I was wasting my time replacing these solenoids. With the mileage of the truck and the weak 46re he said to get it rebuilt and forget about it. He knows a shop he get his trannys rebuilt at that will remove, rebuild, and Install for 1100 out the door with 1 year warranty with a 3 day turn around. Thinking I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it before it leaves me stranded. What do you fellow Dodge owners think? I haven't spent any money on parts yet besides a tps.

If it is simple like the solenod, $1100 is a lot to spend. If I was going to get it rebuilt, I would read some of the transmission threads on here to decide what to do. I would recommend the Sonnax Sure Cure and upgrading from 4 to 6 planets. Might as well get the best bang for the buck, but several transmission shops around this area prefer to only do stock rebuilds.

Name:  IMG_7198.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  117.8 KB

JMO.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM
2tirefire
Amateur

After countless hours on Google and speaking to a few trusted mechanics, I've decided to drop the tranny and replace the TC before I get a rebuild. I've seen a few similar problems on the tcc solenoid getting blamed for a bad TC. Pretty confident on the R@R but I'm not confident on the oriellys TC. It comes with a 1 year warranty, but all the other websites selling these TC are out of my budget considering I might need a rebuild soon that comes with a TC. On my way to get a tranny jack. Wish I had a off road y pipe to put in there since I'm gonna have it out any way lol. Also found these headers on C.L are these any good?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2590139508.html

Old 09-11-2011, 02:45 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
I beleive you may have to drop the valve body.
If i remember correctly the harness is screwed to the valve body.
Edit: Found a picture, harness is on the left. Mounting screw is just below the blue arrow there in the photo.

Dave

Hey, where did you find that picture? I need to bookmark that.

Quick Reply: torque converter slipped in overdrive