2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converter slipped in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Precision of New Hampton's stock converters aren't that expensive.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Precision of New Hampton's stock converters aren't that expensive.

Precision of Ne Hampton has warehouses across the country. (The one in Denver delivers next day!) I picked mine up in Dallas.

Price is competitive, product quality appears to be excellent, and service is great! I recommend them also.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
2tirefire
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got around to pulling the transmission, everything went smooth besides when installing torque converter I noticed a counter balance weight. The converter I pulled out did not have one. I spoke with Oreilly's and they said that it was ok and its a improvement to stock converters. So I continued with the installation and sure enough the weight is in the way from seating correctly on the flywheel. So I called Oreilly'sagain and come to find out they ordered a non lockup converter.

I assumed I needed a lockup converter but after looking on Precisions website there is lock up and non lock up for my application. Can somebody confirm which converter I need before I waste some more ATF. Thanks

Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

You need the locking converter.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 PM
2tirefire
Amateur

Just wanted to update my torque converter R@R. Everything went good besides getting the wrong torque converter from Oreilly's, said it would take 1 week for special order. Couldn't wait that long so I ended up getting a converter from pdqparts.com locally. Just went for a test drive and everything feels and sounds good. I had to chop off the exhaust before the muffler to be able to remove it, got to say the magnaflow sounds good. Glad I didn't get a rebuild for no reason. Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 AM
lurk

i have a question about this if anyone would care to answer my father in laws 99 ram 1500 4x4 just poped this code but we just put a transfer case in it that we had to modify to get it in we took the frount yoke out of his old one and put it in the newer one to be clear we switched out the 1.5 in shaft for the .75 in shaft would this have any thing to do with the code showing up?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 AM
gdstock
Legend

Other than a long, run on sentence, I cannot understand what you are asking....

Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lurk
i have a question about this if anyone would care to answer my father in laws 99 ram 1500 4x4 just poped this code but we just put a transfer case in it that we had to modify to get it in we took the frount yoke out of his old one and put it in the newer one to be clear we switched out the 1.5 in shaft for the .75 in shaft would this have any thing to do with the code showing up?
Nope. That's not gonna set a code, these trucks aren't that smart

What's the code?

Originally Posted by gdstock
Other than a long, run on sentence, I cannot understand what you are asking....
Basically he asked if changing the transfer case and having to switch out the 1.5" shaft for the .75" shaft would set the code he has now...

Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by stewie01
Nope. That's not gonna set a code, these trucks aren't that smart

What's the code?

Basically he asked if changing the transfer case and having to switch out the 1.5" shaft for the .75" shaft would set the code he has now...

EXACTLY....What was the code again?

Seems like I saw another thread (or two) about tcase shaft size being changed....

But I am old am not going to chase multiple threads about same problem....

Quick Reply: torque converter slipped in overdrive