2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans. Service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So basically an "Initial Fill", would be a trans. service?
no. initial fill is a fill up from dead empty to full. this is done only during build or very major repair.

So I am looking at 5 quarts total?

What will happen when I take the check valve out?
I know trans. fluid will come out the cooler line, but do I have to do anything special? Or can I just drill it out like you said.
locate it at the frame rail, engine bay, passenger side, where the cooler hard line changes over to hose. its about 1 inch long. remove hose with 3/8 fuel line disconnect tool, unscrew check valve from hard line. unscrew hose from check valve. put in vise. drill it out. CLEAN IT CLEAN IT CLEAN IT again. reinstall and refill. some fluid will run out of the radiator cooler section and lines when you take it loose, not much maybe 1/2 quart.

an alternative to drilling it out is to remove it and throw it away, and replumb the cooler line in any of several ways using AT cooler hose at $3/ft.

Does it increase fluid flow any? I know if it's clogged it will.
no. removing or drilling it out prevents the cooler line from getting clogged with sludge or debris and killing the trans with HEAT and fluid starvation.

Quick Reply: Trans. Service?