2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

underdrive pulley belt length

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default underdrive pulley belt length

hey guys thinking about ordering the underdrive pulley kit from hughes today and im not sure what length belt to get. i have my a/c bypassed and i know that i need a 95.5" belt for applications with a/c. how long of a belt would i need to keep the a/c bypassed? this will be the alt. and crank pulley set that hughes offers.

TIA

Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

well i called hughes, and talked to kevin and he said he didnt know what size belt i would need. the stock size belt for bypassing the a/c is 90" so with the pullies it must be somewhere around 87-88"

cant anyone confirm this please?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont get your answer...use the string technique then run down to the store and get it measured out...just a thought. Are you getting the kit that includes the alt pulley? If you dont sit running at idle with lots of electronics or lights all you really need is the crank pulley.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM
98lifted360

Hey redneck i was wondering the same, i dont have a/c either and my belt is about shot, and i am going to by pass the compressor when i replace the belt so please put how long it is on here. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

The belt will be 2" smaller than what your running now I'm pretty sure if your truck did not have a/c from the factory your running a 88.5" belt so a 86.5" would be what you need.

If you look at the belt on there and get the number just subtract 2"

Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

my truck came with a/c from the factory, but the clutch is shot(again....) so i bypassed it. i went to advance and got the 88.5 belt, and it wouldnt fit, it was too short. luckily when i bought my truck the a/c was bypassed cause the pulley was siezed up and i still had the old belt so, the belt is actually 90.0" for trucks that came with a/c and need to bypass it.so when i get the underdrive pulled ill need to get an 88.0" belt. good to know now that someone has finally said something.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

sorry to bump back an old thread...but, i purchased a e-fan shroud from jasonw, and will soon be purchading his e-fans as well, so im going to get the hughes underdrive crank, and alt pullies. i never ended up buying them over the summer because money got super tight.....

well im trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial to run the crank, and alt pullies, or just the crank.

i have a dual battery setup, both batts are brand new as of jan 2012. alt is 117 amps, but might upgrade to a 136a alt before next winter hits. only big electrical item i ever use is my plow, and then my aux batt on my camper when im towing it. will i be fine power wise with both the crank and alt pullies, or what? probly gonna order the pullies tomorrow, if funds allow, or wait til after i buy the fans from jason.....

thanks guys!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
well im trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial to run the crank, and alt pullies, or just the crank.
If you don't get the smaller alternator pulley on there to speed the alternator back up to about normal you'll get no charge at idle, dimming lights, all that happy crappy.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

I have the same pulley(s) on my 01. With just the crank pulley on, no voltage loss at idle. With both on, about 11 volts at idle. That is with nothing drawing load(lights, heat/ac, etc). The alternator pulley is considerably bigger than the stock. Voltage comes back up as you accelerate or rev engine. If you do alot of stop and go traffic driving it could pose a problem. I currently run just the crank pulley. I do get some voltage drop at idle, if i am running lights,heater etc. I have run this setup for a year with no battery problems. Another reason I went to the crank pulley only was it was a PITA to try to match up a belt to fit both. I wound up changing idler pulleys around to make it all work. A 95" belt works with the crank pulley and all other stock pulleys on the engine.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Twisted Metal
The alternator pulley is considerably bigger than the stock.
Wow. I have no respect for Hughes anyway, but for them to be bass-ackwards from good sense and every other underdrive pulley set on the market is astounding. Typically, the new pulley is smaller than stock to bring the shaft speed back up to normal and so avoid loss of charge at idle.

Wow.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley belt length