2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting plenum gasket fixed...need advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting plenum gasket fixed...need advise

Well, I finally got the dealer I bought the truck from to change the plenum gasket. After changing the coil, the check engine light flashed again today, but this time, it stayed on. I drove directly to the shop, and had the service guy plug it in. It was reading misfires again. He mentioned maybe a plugged injector, and I told him I wanted the gasket changed. He did not give me any grief at all. I asked him if I bought a hughes plate, if he would install it...he said "what plate"?? I proceeded to tell him what I have recently learned on here, and told him if it wasn't bad, it will be. He said NO problem. "You obviously have done your research"..LOL
What I need to know, is if there is anything else I should have him do while in there ?? that is reasonable of course..LOL Remember, this truck actually drives great, it just keeps throwing misfires, but not really any other symptoms. It may not even be the gasket., but if I can take this opportunity to get a hughes kit installed...I'm on it. If these guys are willing to back up this truck this far...I have no problem with them.

Thanks for the help !!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have him pressure check the Cat.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you're not too far from the timing chain.. it's always a good thing to keep that critter happy..

if you haven't already, you can buy a felpro gasket kit that includes intake manifold, plenum gasket, water pump gasket, and timing cover and front crank seal for just a few dollars more than the intake gasket by itself.. a timing chain/sprocket will cost you around $50~$90.. it's well worth it.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I think he is having the dealer do the work...... He might be able to make a deal with the mechanic that is working on it though.... worth a shot at least.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea, timing chain is pushing it. But , you better have them check the cat.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur

Will do on the cat. Yes, the shop is doing the work, I am just paying for the Hughes plate. Should I have them put in a new thermostat, or is that something they would do anyway. They don't seem to be too familiar with this issue.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:44 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear that the shop is working with you, what are the chances of getting them to do a comp test, you do have a miss and these heads are prone to crack. Be a good time to have them replaced on warranty.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:39 AM
JasonCNY
Amateur

A compression test ?? I will certainly ask. The truck runs GREAT, but It is worth checking. I am concerned that it is something other than the plenum, becuase the truck has all sorts of power, and doesn't use oil. Are there other issues that would cause misfires ??

Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Old ignition parts, (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) weak coil, low voltage supply to the coil, failing crank sensor, and prolly a few others that I missed. (like, an injector going bad perhaps?)

Old 08-22-2011, 07:15 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur

I am getting ready to order the parts from Hughes, and was wondering what is necessary, other than the Plenum kit. I see it mentions bolts for $21.00...are they needed ? I just want to get all the gaskets, bolts, sealants, etc. necessary. I was thinking of grabbing a 180 thermostat at the parts store, or should I replace it with a stock one.?? Thanks for all the help, I just don't want them cutting any corners. I figure if I supply what is needed, they will do it.

Quick Reply: Getting plenum gasket fixed...need advise