2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

0 ( zero ) oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well don't think about it then, just do it. LOL Do yourself a favor and get a Haynes manual at least. And read the procedure before you do the work.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've probably read over a 100 threads over the years from people with 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9 engines with no oil pressure. i don't think i recall any that had a broken distributor shaft. all that i can recall were either simple sludge problems, clogged up pickups, or worn out bearings but those are usual gradual events.

i'd drop the pan...

edit - or i'd drain the oil, pour a boat load of kerosene/diesel into the engine, let it soak a day or two, flush, fill with oil and try it again.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-25-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmole
I guess I am confused with the fuel timing getting thrown off by pulling the dist. I have worked on a number of other engines and never ran across this ?? I guess the dealer has some equipment that regular folk caint aquire ??
the fuel injection is direct into the head port, timed by the distributor sensor (cam position sensor). its an exact number set by the expensive scan tool. if you pull the dist, get the base and the rotor back in the exact position.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM
metalmole
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dhvaughan for the explanation on the fuel timing, I get it now!
The reason I was thinking something may have happened to the oil pump shaft is my friend said the engine was at operating temp when the oil light came on, and not a cold engine at start up, he had been operating it for a bit.
I like your idea of letting it soak with the diesel fuel..........Thanks

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM
metalmole
Talking Update

Drained the oil, poured in some gas, let it soak for a week.....drained added new oil, changed oil filter................50 psi after a few seconds..!!!!!!
Thanks for the help folks .......!!!!!!!
I wasent use to seeing this type of glogin of an engine, I have alwayse kept my stuff serviced....................now I can say I have..............

Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Novarider
Captain

Diesel fuel won't harm the internals of a motor? How do you flush the motor after the diesel just pour in some oil?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If you don't actually run the motor..... no, it won't. I have seen folks use a bit of kerosene in their oil, and let the engine IDLE for ten minutes to clean crap out. But, more often than not, they have a rod knock for their trouble as well.

If the problem is just a clogged pickup tube, dumping in a couple gallons of the solvent of your choice, and letting it sit for a while is a good option, just flush it out REAL well with oil. I would drain the pan, let it sit for a day or so to allow the rest to evaporate (diesel fuel won't evaporate as quickly as gasoline) dump in the right amount of oil, start the engine, let it run for 10 to 15 minutes, and then immediately change oil and filter again.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM
metalmole

Yea, I just let it soak, didnt run the engine with gas in the pan....when I drained it I let it drain for 15 minutes, then instaled the plug and put new oil in.....

Old 09-15-2011, 11:51 PM
marks18

sounds like a good way to clean the engine out really well!

Quick Reply: 0 ( zero ) oil pressure