2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil on Plug Threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM
EFS463
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on Plug Threads

Hey y'all. Completed a tune up about a week ago, and I noticed many of the plugs I pulled out had some oil on the plug THREADS. There wasn't any oil on the firing end, or in the plug itself, but the threads of the plugs had a little coat of oil on them. Is this really any big deal, and what could be causing this?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude!!! that's the first sign that your heads are about to blow off the block and take out communications satellites!!!!

nah.. not really..

valve covers are notorious for leaking.. it's inevitable.. sooner or later everyone's leaks, unless they stay on top of it..

the oil pools in the little indentations the plugs do.. they will get some on the threads when you're pulling them out.. If you recall, I bet the business end of your plug socket had traces of oil too, no? a drop or two at the head of the plug, as you screw it out, allows it to smear all down the threads as you extract them..

I guess I may be old school, but I always put a drop of oil on the threads anyway, before I put them in.. and a little dab of dielectric grease on the nipple too.. some use the grease you find at the check-out of the parts store on the threads the clerks are 'sposed to peddle.. same/same (in principle)..

Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
EFS463
Professional

Originally Posted by drewactual
dude!!! that's the first sign that your heads are about to blow off the block and take out communications satellites!!!!

nah.. not really..

valve covers are notorious for leaking.. it's inevitable.. sooner or later everyone's leaks, unless they stay on top of it..

the oil pools in the little indentations the plugs do.. they will get some on the threads when you're pulling them out.. If you recall, I bet the business end of your plug socket had traces of oil too, no? a drop or two at the head of the plug, as you screw it out, allows it to smear all down the threads as you extract them..

I guess I may be old school, but I always put a drop of oil on the threads anyway, before I put them in.. and a little dab of dielectric grease on the nipple too.. some use the grease you find at the check-out of the parts store on the threads the clerks are 'sposed to peddle.. same/same (in principle)..
Lol good sarcasm. But thanks for your input. I figured it might have been the VC but I dont have a chance to check it today. I guess it leaks out the side and down into the head shields? Ill try to tighten those bolts up this weekend

Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd check the plenum too.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM
EFS463
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
I'd check the plenum too.
Ive pulled the air cleaner and throttle body off 2 different times now and there is no oil in the intake. Suppose the previous owner did the repair. This truck was VERY well maintained by the previous owner. I got it with 165,000 on it, and the only thing it needed was a u-joint. everything else on the truck was up to spec, and all the fluids were moderately clean, good plugs and wires, etc. The guy took care of it.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM
95Erokram
Veteran

Originally Posted by EFS463
Ive pulled the air cleaner and throttle body off 2 different times now and there is no oil in the intake. Suppose the previous owner did the repair. This truck was VERY well maintained by the previous owner. I got it with 165,000 on it, and the only thing it needed was a u-joint. everything else on the truck was up to spec, and all the fluids were moderately clean, good plugs and wires, etc. The guy took care of it.
I hear ya on good previoyus owners. bought mine at 131000 and had the plenum fixed i suppose. it was sound and very well taken care of. put a hard 25k on it in two years and ive only had to replace shocks, t case, transmission, brakes, almost the whole front end, all four u joints, hubs, tires, shift linkage, took care of the cat, and replaced a shot ecm. its a friggen brand new truck now. and you know what. It was worth every penny. i didnt fix anything to a stock or eo spec either, i went beyond lol. tired of braking s***

Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

95 can you post a pick of your halo LED headlights and what you think about em. Was thinking about putting em in until i saw someone complaining about the plastic melting.

I want MOAR light, oh and a non yellow headlamp :P

ps. sorry to jack the thread just saw seems to be answered oil on threads = small VC leak somewhere. Tighten em down and replace gaskets.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
EFS463
Professional

Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
95 can you post a pick of your halo LED headlights and what you think about em. Was thinking about putting em in until i saw someone complaining about the plastic melting.

I want MOAR light, oh and a non yellow headlamp :P

ps. sorry to jack the thread just saw seems to be answered oil on threads = small VC leak somewhere. Tighten em down and replace gaskets.
I've had a few buddies with those Halo lights that didn't like them. If you want bright lights just get a set of HIDS for $50

Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

FYI the valve covers have a OEM reusable gasket. You should only need to tighten them and be all good. Just clean up the area so you know what's going on, and retorque the bolts every few thousand miles.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 ^ . Every oil change check them(VC bolts). On a side note. I torque the plugs to the proper spec. So no problem getting them out. For most though, some oil getting on them will just help get them out when the time comes after the 200 pound torque is applied. lol

Quick Reply: Oil on Plug Threads