2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram 1500 Dash Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my BS-O-METER went hay wire when he was talking lol

Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL, I hear ya. People/companies will say a lot of BS to sell something.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Yep that's why I'm proud to be an Aflac agent. I don't have to tell people a load of crap I just have to tell them what it will actually do for them. That's the kind of sales I like doing. Never was big on the idea of spewing crap out of my mouth just to sell something.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A Pillar

Originally Posted by brokenroads37502
Hey no arguments with what you said either. I agree with what you've said. just got off the phone with a local dodge dealer they said $829 for the lower dash piece. Surely there has to be a better source to replace that piece of craptastic plastic. If not I may try epoxying the heck out of it with some mesh reinforcement and then put it back together till it breaks again. The guy swore that the A-pillar trim pieces would have to be replaced as well that they have got to come out in order to replace the dash. But no where have I found anyone saying anything to back up what that mere parts jockey has said. In fact none of the books I have say anything about pulling those trim pieces out in order to remove the dash from the vehicle.

Any comments as to wether he's correct about the a pillar trim pieces? I can't help but believe that he got to heavy handed with them coming out when he supposedly did the dash in his fathers truck. Sounds like the song and dance of a parts jockey wanting to upsale.

Don't know if A Pillar piece has to come out or not, but I have loked high and low for one for passenger side. Finallly pulled it off and found the missing piece inside. I fiberglassed it from the back side and reinstalled. I cannot find new one and dealer says it is no longer available.....jees....
I am also having difficulty finding glove box as well. Surely someone has to have these as so many of us have a definite need. Business opportunity anyone?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Well I know they have the A-pillar trim pieces here in Jacksonville, FL.(my truck is a 2000 Ram 1500 regular cab with the light grey interior. I can't speak for the year model and trim color that you need though). However, the jack *** was insistent that I was going to have to replace them because when "HE" replaced the dash in his dads truck he broke them and said they were just too brittle. "And that they HAVE to be removed in order to replace the dash pad. AND NO ONE CAN DO IT WITHOUT BREAKING THEM BECAUSE HE COULDN'T!" All the sudden this guy went from a parts jockey to the worlds greatest technician that ever lived in about 2 seconds. Which is funny cause nobody I've talked to had to pull these pieces. Except the people that were replacing them with the ones to mount gauges in the A-pillar. Like I said earlier the guy sounded like a sleezebag salesman on the phone. The kind that really pisses me off since I myself am an ASE Certified Parts Technician and I always gave my customers the truth good or bad. People like him just really get under my skin. I no longer work in the auto industry but I'm still no idiotic enough to believe anything other than the price he gave me for the part I insisted was all I would need from him. And if I break them well then I'll get the gauge cluster set that I mentioned since an engine swap from v-6 to a big block is in the future of this truck and the extra gauges will be handy anyway. Or perhaps I'll go with the trim pieces for the infinity stereo equipped trucks as I recall from back in the days when I sold chrysler parts they have a spot to mount tweeters. I think they'd give my stereo a nice clean kick in the butt making it sound even better with the tweeters installed.

Last edited by brokenroads37502; 08-30-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
gdstock
Legend
Default Parts

Well I know they have the A-pillar trim pieces here in Jacksonville, FL.
Was this at a Dodge Dealer? Maybe I need to talk to the Parts Dept Manager here. The kid at the counter may not have known what he was talking about either?

I was thinking of checking with a local body shop. They may have sources for thinigs like this as well.

Does anyone remember when anyone that worked at a parts counter was a hot rodder or gear head? Remember how helpful they were? Now all you can find for the most part are kids that don;t know what they are selling, can't find it if the computer doesn't show it, and can't engage ina technical discussion. I miss the "Good Ol Days!"

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Was this at a Dodge Dealer? Maybe I need to talk to the Parts Dept Manager here. The kid at the counter may not have known what he was talking about either?

I was thinking of checking with a local body shop. They may have sources for thinigs like this as well.

Does anyone remember when anyone that worked at a parts counter was a hot rodder or gear head? Remember how helpful they were? Now all you can find for the most part are kids that don;t know what they are selling, can't find it if the computer doesn't show it, and can't engage ina technical discussion. I miss the "Good Ol Days!"

Big time. I used to be one of those guys behind the parts counter, that had a clue. (and the service desk, and back in the shop..... been working around cars most of my life in one capacity or another.) These days, I just ask to play with their computer, and look it up myself......

Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Same here I'm a gear head raised to be a Mopar man. I still have customers that wish I was behind the counter at NAPA. They tell me that every time they see me around town.

It was Jacksonville Chrysler Jeep Dodge that I was talking to.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Default A Pillar

Same here I'm a gear head raised to be a Mopar man. I still have customers that wish I was behind the counter at NAPA. They tell me that every time they see me around town.

It was Jacksonville Chrysler Jeep Dodge that I was talking to.

That settles it. Going in to talk to the older guy. I can find these for 2002 and later, but 99 seems to be an issue for aftermarket and accessory parts sales.

Thanks. Here's to the "Good Ol Days!"

Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 AM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Well I would think that they'd be the same from 97-01 but I could be wrong I do know for a fact that the original manufacturer only has to produce parts for like 10 years I believe. I might be wrong on that but I do know it's only a certain amount of time.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 1500 Dash Replacement!