2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Solenoid Conversion to GM. Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid Conversion to GM. Should I do it?

I am on my third governor pressure solenoid and I am having problems again. This time, it's only been two weeks before messing up. I have changed it three times within the last two years or less. Someone suggested I convert over to a GM version. I don't know if it's getting extra dirty somehow. I know this last time, there were lots of shavings in the bottom and it was only 6 months ago before I had dropped the pan, and had put the other solenoid in. As any one had success in converting this part to GM or have any other suggestions? Someone sent me a link to this for the conversion kit: https://www.wittrans.com/search.aspx...hTerm=A12432BK

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you have more problems, but, you might try one of these.

Name:  DSCF0620.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  77.5 KB

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur

You might be right about having more problems. When I bought the truck used in 2005, I had to have the transmission rebuilt and cost me about $1,900. Then, about two years ago, I started having the 'not shifting up' problem. Changing the governor pressure solenoid seemed to help, but only for a little while.

Well, do you think I just get one of these and try it?

Last edited by cosmorphis; 08-31-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Change the fluid and filter, install one of those solenoids, and have the bands adjusted. Use ATF+4 only.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, some other forums guys have related issues with the GM conversion. That borg warner solenoid should do the trick.

Try richard at hipotek, only 70 bucks shipped, IIRC.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM
bseeton1

Dodge "RE" Governor Solenoid to GM
Pressure Control Solenoid Conversion Kit

#REC. This kit was specifically designed to handle higher base pressure in high performance applications and to improve the reliability of the governor solenoid in normal use. In performance units the pressure can flood the Dodge solenoid and cause a no shift condition at full throttle. This is the fix. Fits all rear wheel drive RE model transmissions. Cost $149.00
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm
worked for me 2 year now lots of towing etc.
also changed the check valve on the vaccum line on the right side of throttle body fixed some shifting issues as well as the wild vent on load problems. $4.30 at the dodge house

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think you have something else seriously wrong.

while sensors and solenoids can be finicky and prone to contamination, replacing it should be a once or twice in a lifetime event, not 3 times in 2 years. also, you are reporting shavings, which are abnormal. it is normal to accumulate some sludge deposits from the erosion of the friction materials, but that should accumulate slowly over time, and should appear as a film, or paste. not shavings. there should never be any shavings...

i would not replace it again. i might clean it, but i wouldn't replace it. i think you're about to experience another big repair.

describe what your shavings look like? are they frictions? are they steel and stuck to the magnet? are they aluminum and not stuck to the magnet? and how much are we talking about, a thimble full or a hand full ? do you ever hear any unexpected noises, pops, grinds, clanks, clicks.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
jmhai
Veteran

This thread got me thinking... I have a SCT tuner from hemifever and when I would load any of the programs they worked fine until WOT/or just heavy foot take offs, at which time the trans would hesitate or slip between 1st and 2nd and I think 3rd any other time fine... I would load the stock program back on and problem would disappear. Talked to him and he made some program changes but same thing happened and he was not sure why this would happen (I did not mention Gov Solenoid=didn't have this info at the time)..

Do you guys think the Governor Solenoid is weak/floating ? Does the SCT tunes increase transmission line pressure ? This BW soleniod might just be what I need...

I have not been using the SCT because don't want to risk damage to the trans...

If this is thread jacking I will gladly post a different thread, but thought this would be helpful here for people searching for answers to this problem...

Last edited by jmhai; 08-31-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sct removes torque management, which basically bogs the engine at the shift to take some pain off the trans on shift. If it's slipping on shifts, the first easiest try is the band adjustment.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 AM
jmhai
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Sct removes torque management, which basically bogs the engine at the shift to take some pain off the trans on shift. If it's slipping on shifts, the first easiest try is the band adjustment.
According to Hemifever the 1996 Rams do not have a torque delete option.. I think i will contact him again to specify why this is....

Quick Reply: Solenoid Conversion to GM. Should I do it?