2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wrecked truck my truck need some advice whether it is worth fixing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
musclecarguy91
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked truck my truck need some advice whether it is worth fixing

In July on a rainy night I decided to go a little too fast around a turn on bald tires, spun hit the front end in a bank, the truck twisted facing the other direction then went on the drivers side and flopped back over on all 4. The cab is bucked at the roof and at the rockers I believe, the tail gait won't open and I need a new windshield and rear drivers side window, and a new front bumper, and bed. The steering got completely messed up, there was play in the wheel before the accident and I know there is something bent underneath cause when I look under it i can see something is bent, what It is I'm not aware of yet. I have another vehicle, and I've been quite busy over the summer so I have yet to get a list to see what else is exactly wrong. I'll get pictures of it sometime this week. I know for sure I WILL need a windshield and rear drivers side window I could care less about the bed. The cab I don't know if it can be fixed or just getting a new one will work. I'm going to call someone this week to see if the frame is bent. I'm hoping it isn't but if it is I will just part it out and buy a diesel because it is gas and I wanted a diesel in the first place. If not my questions are will a 1500 cab and bed fit a 2500 frame? I can find tons of 1500 trucks cheap to get good body parts which if it does work, that would be awesome. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Cabs are pretty much identical between weight ratings. (of the same year....)

Need pics to see how bad things are tweaked.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a parts truck to me.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 PM
musclecarguy91
Amateur

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Sounds like a parts truck to me.
That's what a few of my friends told me as well. If worse comes to worse it will be and its an expensive lesson well learned.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parts. Except for the tires.....and glass. Especially if frame is twisted or kinked.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Definitely not worth fixing even if the frame is straight. 2nd Gen Rams are a dime a dozen around my area, and there's at least 3-4 being sold on craigslist everyday.

Most people don't realize that tires are the most important aspect of any vehicle. There's only 4 points where your truck touches the ground for accelerating, stopping, and steering.

You need to make the most of those 4 points. Buy a quality set of tires, and I hope this experience teaches you to drive more carefully in the future.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
musclecarguy91
Amateur

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
Definitely not worth fixing even if the frame is straight. 2nd Gen Rams are a dime a dozen around my area, and there's at least 3-4 being sold on craigslist everyday.

Most people don't realize that tires are the most important aspect of any vehicle. There's only 4 points where your truck touches the ground for accelerating, stopping, and steering.

You need to make the most of those 4 points. Buy a quality set of tires, and I hope this experience teaches you to drive more carefully in the future.
There are tons of 1500's in my area, but it is a 2500 and I would like to have the 2500 instead of a 1500. I can find a cheap 1500 and swap the body if the frame isn't messed up. But then again I would like to get a diesel. At the time I didn't have the money to get the tires replaced. The fronts were fine the backs weren't now I have the money, but I shot myself in the foot and it will cost a lot more to fix than just tires.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Look for a diesel then. There are a bunch on Ebay, can sometimes find one on craigslist as well. Autotrader is another place to look. (not to mention your local newspaper..... although, if you live in a small town, don't expect much there.)

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM
musclecarguy91
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Look for a diesel then. There are a bunch on Ebay, can sometimes find one on craigslist as well. Autotrader is another place to look. (not to mention your local newspaper..... although, if you live in a small town, don't expect much there.)
Everyone in my area thinks their diesel is worth its weight in gold and they ask stupid amounts for junk. It'll take me a while to find a one in decent shape.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

May have to drive a ways to get a decent deal.

Quick Reply: wrecked truck my truck need some advice whether it is worth fixing