2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body lift/ Spectre intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
DodgeItRamIt97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift/ Spectre intake

For my 1997 Dodge ram 1500 2wd I have a 3in body lift and a spectre cold air intake that I am going to be installing soon and after thinking about it I was wondering if lifting the body would make the intake not fit anymore. I have heard of several trucks that have both a spectre intake and body lift but to me it just seems like the intake wont fit right if I get the body lift. Does anyone have a similar intake in their truck along with a body lift that can give some insite?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

You are raising the body up, so, clearance under the hood isn't a problem. The tube may slant up some to where it hits the fender, but, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
DodgeItRamIt97
Rookie

yea i thought it would slant up. I was just seeing if anyone was familiar with this specific kit because from what I can tell it doesnt have a huge amount of flex to it. its a metal tube attached to a plastic chamber by a kinda rubber like connector. I cant really know much about its flexability untill i install it.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first, You shouldn't be using any kind of metal for your intake tube. It heats up with the engine temperature and therefore increases your intake temperature and making your engine run worse. Second, lifting the body only lifts the body, and shouldn't have anything to do with the intake as it is in the engine compartment.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran

hey you is right, you shouldnt have any problems.

moparman... the body lift raises the body off of the frame. the motor is connected to frame, airbox is connected to inner fenderwell (body) so yes a body lift will create separation between the two. hypothetically could cause a problem, although in this application it does not.

if you can find a material that does not heat up from under the hood temperatures, than thats what i will make mine out of. but since the intake manifolds are all made of metal, i am sure the temp of your metal intake tube is the best choice....also all aftermarket intake systems (that i have ever seen) have metal tubing and poly joints, so i am confident that dodgeit has made a good choice.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Okay I understand that the intake and the engine get pulled apart and I didn't type that correctly. That's fine if you want to use metal but its a fact that it heats up your intake air. The whole point of having a better intake is to pull in cooler air. Either way he could always do what I did and get the flex pipe that spectre makes and that will stretch out plenty for him to reach both ends.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Actually, most of the "CAI"'s you see on the market don't get any colder air than the stock setup does, as they are drawing air in from the exact same place. The advantage is, they flow a bit better. That's about it.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 AM
dodgeman2289
Captain

ya i have the spectre. i live in florida and i have a scan guage it shows me my intake temp. at a light my intake temp will heat up to a max of 170 but driving around usually on a cooler day it will get around 120-130 on the hot day stays around 140-150 old k&n was the same and the 14x3 on mine ran alittle hotter.my buddy had one and i was like leme use it for a sec i drove around with it it seems to give the same as all the other intakes ive tried. so basically any way u go they almost the same. ive never tried a inclosed filter tho.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 AM
beefythedodge
Veteran

Technically a cold air intake is one with a long tube that sucks air from down behind the bumper somewhere (not under the hood) the ones that mount under the hood are called a short ram, and once again heyyou nailed kit. The benefit is better flow, not air temp.

Quick Reply: Body lift/ Spectre intake