2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

m1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m1 intake

For those who have ran the m1 2 barrel on their 4x4 ram, how did you like it? Was the rest of your engine stock? Was there a lot of torque loss at the lower RPM?

It seems after all of my searching some has torque loss and some don't. Mostly the ones with the torque loss is the folks with stock engines. My engine has the 210x cam, 2.02 EQ heads and 52mm TB along with headers so it doesn't breathe as good as it should with the stock intake. The power range for the M1 intake is a match for my heads and cam, so I wonder if I will feel any power loss at all down low? (I am running 4.56 gears and 2200 stall as well)

I know the intake will respond differently on the dakotas due to the weight difference, but that is the folks who mainly run it.

How would the Air Gap perform compared to the M1 with my combo?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, you're truck seems to be built for the range of the air-gap or an M1... you'll absolutely benefit.. the gears get you to the sweet spot almost by themselves.. the cam and the heads match the M1 or the air-gap better than the keg, and your stall rate is- if anything- low.. the gears will carry the truck to the range quicker, and the engine will spool it from there so long as it can breathe.. it sounds like your intake manifold is the limiting factor keeping you from being a screamer right now...

Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by drewactual
dude, you're truck seems to be built for the range of the air-gap or an M1... you'll absolutely benefit.. the gears get you to the sweet spot almost by themselves.. the cam and the heads match the M1 or the air-gap better than the keg, and your stall rate is- if anything- low.. the gears will carry the truck to the range quicker, and the engine will spool it from there so long as it can breathe.. it sounds like your intake manifold is the limiting factor keeping you from being a screamer right now...
You can feel it just run out of grunt at about 3500 rpm. The cam comes in at 2600rpm so I am missing out on a lot of peformance.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup.. and an un-modded keg doesn't have a chance to keep up.. even with all that reserve in the thing..

have you tried a turtle?

even if you haven't, you'd have to take the manifold off to put one in.. and if I were to do that, I'd be damned if I would put that keg back on..

the M1 is better than the AG on the extreme top end.. the keg is better than the M1 on the extreme low end.. the AG bridges that gap..

an FIAG can be had for $600.. an M1 can be had for $200.. with your supporting mods, I'd aim directly at an M1 and walk away smiling.. they don't have near the inherit issues an FIAG has, (fuel rail placement, cumbersome tb plate), and it will kick *** 3kRPM+.. (will seriously reduce it running out of air) and be more than sufficient below because of your gear selection..

Old 09-15-2011, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

He needs to replace his manifold. Simple as that. There is nothing he can do to the stock manifold (short of completely gutting it out, and custom building something else out of it...) that is going to let his engine breath the way the cam and heads want to. Air Gap or M1 is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Thanks man, you have helped me a lot with this decision!

I will go with the M1!!! I can always resale later if I don't like lt. But like you were saying, it's such a perfect match for my combo.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both the Airgap and M1 have very similar torque curves/low end losses, a good tune and some supporting parts (such as your cam) can more than bring that back, I've driven an identicle truck to mine in stock form and mine has noticeably more low end torque with the M1 and it's supporting mods. Also from 3000RPMS+ it just blows the kegger away, it never feels like it stops pulling (at least up to the 5500RPM that I run). IMO the M1 is the way to go, that can be had used fairly cheap and it looks cleaner IMO. Supposedly the Airgap does have a better injector angle.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

my dads 1997 dodge ram 1500 has the hughes FI airgap manifold. that thing is insane it has good low end power and has great high end power. it feels like it pulls to 4500 rpms before it starts dying off whcih for most people is good enough.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=24773

Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
sinus19
Veteran

you need an intake mani to get those extra ponies out!! i got the Hughes FI AG and i love it! check out HughesEngines dyno comparison between the M1 and their FI Air Gap
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArt...takeupdate.php

Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my airgap too ot also come with everything u need in the kit

Quick Reply: m1 intake