2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94' Magnum missfire/detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Kmart17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94' Magnum missfire/detonation?

Hey, this is my first thread on your forum
Here's the deal. Oil pump went so I replaced it. bout a week later after bout 30 min on the hwy the motor just started violently shaking with no power. It has to be pretty will warmed up and does it @ any speed after the initial time. If you let it cool down significantly it will be fine until the next time

whats been done-cap/rotor/wires-found burnt one/plugs-had a lot of greyish build up/crankcase breather
-pcv to manifold vacuum check=20p.s.i
-crankcase breathe vacuum check=0p.si

There is oil present in the T.B and is really rich out the exhaust pipes, even after problem duplicated. I am thinking the motor is loading up and detonating

I plan on checking with the zone for codes(no check engine light) and then cutting out the cat for my backpressure hypothesis. 02 sensor looks new with very little sute but, is a bosch:/

Thanks guys! Any and all advice would be apprecitated. -Kevin

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
rczanstke
Professional

Oil in the throttle body, as in entering the manifold? Have you done the plenum repair? If not, start there.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rczanstke
Oil in the throttle body, as in entering the manifold? Have you done the plenum repair? If not, start there.

There is a sticky thread on the plenum in the DIY section. I bought mine for $49.99 with free shipping on ebay.

Welcome to DF.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Kmart17

Awesome! Am in the process of tearing down the manifold for the plenum job. Also checked the cat. It had already been hollowed out. let u know how it turns out. -thanks

Old 09-17-2011, 03:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Replace the o2 also. Get an NTK from rock auto. And BTW, add ALL the info about your truck to your sig. I'm also thinking you might have a failing crank sensor.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Kmart17

Alright! changed the plenum gasket. cleaned up all the injectors and a ton of carbon in the valley. Took it for a drive and bout 20 min on the hwy after I turned around and back on the on ramp started screwing up. was a nasty hill to boot. Seemed to chug on down the hwy better:/ got off the hwy and killed it took a look under the hood and was able to tear azz down the city streets no problem.

Also exhaust still running rich @ idle and had shorted wires causing starter bendix to engage while driving. That one was just for humility

guess its 02 sensor and crank sensor on deck. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your cat too.
You might SeaFoam your engine too, get rid of the carbon left by the plenum malfunction. Cools everything off a little bit and restore compression back to stock levels.

Welcome to DF. Happy wrenching.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Kmart17

Fuel Pump!!! after the O2 Sensor (ngk) I went for the F.P stole one out of my buddies 01 1500, scotch locked the newer electrical conn. and problem solved. Guess the shaking came from it running out of gas and not being able to sustain pressure. Everything else was totally needed so until the next time. Thanks for the tips!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmart17
Everything else was totally needed so until the next time. Thanks for the tips!
Glad you figured out. And I hope by the next time you have a problem, your sig and profile will be filled out. LOL

Quick Reply: 94' Magnum missfire/detonation?