2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dead truck need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a posting that said lifting the bed was as easy. Don't know for sure. Wonder how many people that would take. I would drop tank, but need to take some gas out to reduce weight. Trans jack would be more stable as it has a larger lift surface.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 AM
pstu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,283 Likes on 3,030 Posts

Fuel pumps wait for you to fill the tank before going belly up. It's an unwritten law..... (unless murphy had something to say about it......)

With a full tank, I would be real tempted to just lift the bed...... dropping a full tank of gas off the jack sucks. (don't ask.....)

Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 PM
pstu

Well good news I got it running and it wasn't anything I thought it would be. So simple it was stupid. The cat is plugged up. I pulled the o2 sensor and got to screwing around forgot to put it back in. Tried to start the truck for no reason other than to hear it turn over and it started and ran fine. Sometimes its good to be scatter brained. Thanks to all who helped me with this problem.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
...... dropping a full tank of gas off the jack sucks. (don't ask.....)

You know that WE must know how you know that!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by gdstock
You know that WE must know how you know that!
Filled tank, drove home..... dead van...... installed fuel filter with pressure valve to hook the gauge to. Nice fat zero..... So.....tow to the shop, jacked up the van, stuck some jackstands under the axle, supported gas tank on the jack, with a board between, pulled the straps loose, started lowering the tank..... and one corner caught on the frame rail...... didn't close the valve fast enough, the tank shifted, RIPPED the lines loose, fell off the jack, landed on a corner, and rapidly dumped 24 gallons of gas onto the shop floor........ Fortunately, my partner in crime in the next bay held off sparking up the torch.....

About 500 pounds of floor dry later....... I got another tank from the junkyard, put the new pump in, threw some gas in the van, and drove it away.....

My friend that owns the shop still points and snickers every time someone mentions "fuel pump" when I am around. Hell, he probably does it when I am NOT there........

Oooops?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
pstu

Hey you don't feel bad I had to pull a fuel tank off mu buddy once. He drooped the tank (20 gal) decided he could lay on his back and hold it with his hands and knees. Somehow got it unbolted and it fell dead in the middle of his chest he was stuck for about 2 hours. He's not too bright

Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM
gdstock
Legend

I shouldn't have that problem.....can't afford to fill a tank......

But I can remember a time when I could fill the tank from a $% bill, and get some change......(six pack cost less than $5 also back then)

Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah.... those were the days.... I remember the gas wars, and being able to get a gallon of gas for 14 cents...... I remember when 50 cents worth of gas wouldn't FIT in my motorcycle...... Ah, nostalgia.....

Quick Reply: dead truck need help