2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help Truck Stalled In An Intersection Twice!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM
99podge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Truck Stalled In An Intersection Twice!!

I need help bad, I've been scared twice already and that dont happen often! I recently did valve cover gaskets on my truck and ever since then I've had problems. I hooked up a Snap On diagnostic to my truck and it said cyl 1 missfire, and CTS (coolant temp sensor). I dont see why me doing valve cover gaskets would make my truck miss fire, because it ran fine before i did them. Now my truck when its warm will hesitate and almost die when I get on the gas at a stop light, and twice now when I was in the turn lane slowing down and taking the turn it dies, yesterday it died with a semi coming right for me. I have already put new plugs in, wires are new, distributor cap and rotor are probably 6,000 miles old. I can hear the injector ticking, I used the old school screwdriver trick. Im pretty stumped and any input would be wonderful, because its getting to the point to where I dont wanna drive it, because I dont want it to stall and get me into an accident, knock on wood it hasn't happened yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Check the FAQ section for the TSB on plug wire routing.

Check the connector on the CTS, I am going to assume you have a 99...... so, you only have one sensor. It is to the drivers side of the thermostat housing.... make sure it is plugged in nice and tight, and the connections are clean.

If that doesn't alter its attitude, clean the throttle body, paying special attention to the IAC ports...... (someone should write a DIY on this......)

Old 09-20-2011, 03:29 PM
99podge
Amateur

Thanks for the input, I have the plugs wired correctly, but i will check again, doesnt hurt to double check, Yes its a 99, ill be looking into all of this on the weekend since I work nights its hard to be up when the sun is up! When you say someone should write a DYI on cleaning the throttle body and IAC ports are you asking if I wouldn't mind writing one? Or has somebody already have?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just a thought. I am surprised there isn't one yet.... it is such a common task on these trucks. One of the first things to be done with a stalling issue. If you feel like writing one, with pics.... (yes, we are pic greedy) feel free.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
99podge
Amateur

Ill do one this weekend with plenty of pics, I have seen one in the van section thou, when I was searching. It don't hurt to clean it out, and to have a DIY in our section as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the CTS/ECT is on the passenger side , under the alternator. And if you did the VC's, it is very possible it is just disconnected.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 AM
99podge
Amateur

When I looked for the CTS when I pulled into work, I couldn't find it, there was a alot of stuff in the way! Looks like fun! Well this weekend ill tear into it, write up that DIY for ya'll and hopefully that fixes the problem. Another symptom my truck has also is when I come to a stop it wants to die as well, if I slow down quickly itll die.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Slow responding IAC, or TPS going bad. If cleaning the TB doesn't help, or, not as much as you think it should.... test the TPS, make sure the voltage sweep is nice and smooth, if that's ok, replace the IAC.

CTS should be in the crossover passage on the intake, just to the drivers side of the thermostat housing. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Slow responding IAC, or TPS going bad. If cleaning the TB doesn't help, or, not as much as you think it should.... test the TPS, make sure the voltage sweep is nice and smooth, if that's ok, replace the IAC.

CTS should be in the crossover passage on the intake, just to the drivers side of the thermostat housing. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
Sorry HeyYou, but like I said, it on the passenger side under the alternator. This pic is from the 2000. My 98 was in the same spot. See the green oxidized brass in the center of the pic? That's it bud.

Name:  DSCF0686.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  165.2 KB

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, ooops. Ok. On my 96, the sensor for the gauge is there. I figgered that dodge would do something intelligent, and just leave the important sensor where it was.... Silly me.

Quick Reply: Need Help Truck Stalled In An Intersection Twice!!