2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hypertech Max Energy Optimun Settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM
DodgeItRamIt97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Max Energy Optimun Settings

I just got a Hypertech Max Energy and Im not exactly sure what the best setting would be to maximize fuel economy and/or power. I understand you can increase the rpms and shifting settings and stuff but im not that knowledgable on that stuff. So does anyone have one of these and know what the best settings would be for a 1997 dodge ram 1500, 5.2 liter v8, 2wd?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

I have a Hypertech as well for my '98 5.9L 4x4. I have been running it with the premium fuel setting on high test and notice better fuel economy doing that than on the economy setting. Running 91 also got rid of that god awful spark knock when under load.

I wouldn't mind playing around with the shifting points and stuff as well, just don't really know which way to change them to benifit my truck without doing damage.

Have you programed your truck with anything yet?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Hypertech Support
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is a list from our web site showing the features of the Max Energy as it relates to your vehicle

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L
Performance Gains
Premium Octane: +7HP +38TQ
Regular Octane: +5HP +18TQ

Adjustable Features
Top Speed Limiter 116, 128, 255 MPH
Rev Limit -500 to +500 RPM
DTCs Read and Clear
Return Back To Stock
Internet Updateable

Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Forgot quote, please refer to new post.

Last edited by 8uzzsaw; 09-27-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Originally Posted by Hypertech Support
Below is a list from our web site showing the features of the Max Energy as it relates to your vehicle

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L
Performance Gains
Premium Octane: +7HP +38TQ
Regular Octane: +5HP +18TQ

Adjustable Features
Top Speed Limiter 116, 128, 255 MPH
Rev Limit -500 to +500 RPM
DTCs Read and Clear
Return Back To Stock
Internet Updateable
Your website is all well and good, but it does not even hint at what shift point/rev limit settings are good for our trucks. Repeating what is written on the box doesn't really help a whole lot. I don't mean to be rude, so please don't take it that way.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Besaw
Your website is all well and good, but it does not even hint at what shift point/rev limit settings are good for our trucks. Repeating what is written on the box doesn't really help a whole lot. I don't mean to be rude, so please don't take it that way.
Mainly because not everyone uses their trucks for the same purposes. A person that drag races (one extreme), isn't going to want the same shift points as a person that tows a 15,000 pound trailer every day. (other extreme...) And then there is everyone in between.... not to mention that the vast array of possible configurations of engine/gears/tires are also going to play a role in where you want your shift points..... Best bet? Experiment. Might search other forums for folks in a similar position, to get some good 'baseline' changes...... aside from that, it's prolly gonna be trial and error.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Direct from the Hypertech website in the FAQ section.

How do I determine where to set my shift points?

Shift point adjusments are only in effect at wide open throttle. Optimum settings can vary based on the driver’s feel. It is best to start by raising the shift points in each gear in small increments, and test driving the vehicle. Here are some tips for adjusting shift points:

For Maximum Performance: To optimize shift points for maximum acceleration, the shift points should be raised or lowered in each gear, until the quickest acceleration rate is found. The best, and most accurate way, to measure acceleration is at a dragstrip with a timing system. Start out with the stock shift points as a baseline. Adjust the 1-2 shift first, going up or down in 100 RPM increments. Once you have found the shift point that gives you the quickest time, then repeat the same procedure for the rest of the gear changes.

For Driver Feel: Most of the time, shift points can be tailored to the driver’s preference. For example, if the vehicle seems to shift too soon while passing at full throttle, the shift point at that gear change can be raised. The best method is trial and error.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

And upon further review, the MAX Energy does not even do shift points for a Dodge Ram. That's why it's not listed as one of the features.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Mainly because not everyone uses their trucks for the same purposes. A person that drag races (one extreme), isn't going to want the same shift points as a person that tows a 15,000 pound trailer every day. (other extreme...) And then there is everyone in between.... not to mention that the vast array of possible configurations of engine/gears/tires are also going to play a role in where you want your shift points..... Best bet? Experiment. Might search other forums for folks in a similar position, to get some good 'baseline' changes...... aside from that, it's prolly gonna be trial and error.
I guess I missed that one in the FAQ section. My appologies to Hypertech.

Originally Posted by zman17
Direct from the Hypertech website in the FAQ section.

How do I determine where to set my shift points?

Shift point adjusments are only in effect at wide open throttle. Optimum settings can vary based on the driver’s feel. It is best to start by raising the shift points in each gear in small increments, and test driving the vehicle. Here are some tips for adjusting shift points:

For Maximum Performance: To optimize shift points for maximum acceleration, the shift points should be raised or lowered in each gear, until the quickest acceleration rate is found. The best, and most accurate way, to measure acceleration is at a dragstrip with a timing system. Start out with the stock shift points as a baseline. Adjust the 1-2 shift first, going up or down in 100 RPM increments. Once you have found the shift point that gives you the quickest time, then repeat the same procedure for the rest of the gear changes.

For Driver Feel: Most of the time, shift points can be tailored to the driver’s preference. For example, if the vehicle seems to shift too soon while passing at full throttle, the shift point at that gear change can be raised. The best method is trial and error.
I actually found this helpful and am planning on trying that soon. Only issue I have it the down shift I get on hills when I think it would be fine in the gear its in.

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Look up, I made another post while you typing.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Max Energy Optimun Settings