2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

All things electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
NewbieDodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Heyyou - The wires seem to look fine.. all still wrapped up in there original wrapping. No severe angles or rips/burns.

@ gdstock - Yep, it does appear that it HAD an aftermarket stereo.. and other things goin on. did not splice the wires tho. They used a kit it seems. (Hmm. wondering how/if they got the door speakers to work) I will look for that special blue wire.. I will look at the wiring diagram again.

@ CTPA - Thats what I was thinking also. I think that its a bad ground to the CTM?

I will pull the ignition switch module and pull the radio out and unhook it and we will see what happens. (If still bad I can turn on turn signals and wipers)

I will look over the wiring diagram and hopefully it has the ground points in there.. they goin to be the same for the 98?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From 98 service manual, you can compare it with the 01 manual.

Name:  DSCF0699.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  DSCF0700.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  70.2 KB

Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a note about grounds - over 85% electrical problems are th result of bad, missing, undersized ground. If a ground is missing or cannot carry the current. the circuit will attempt to ground any way it can, usually through another circuit or device, which will normally dim that circuit (if it is lighting) or drop voltage significantly.

In order to eliminate this problem, pulling all fuses except the one you may be attempting to troubleshoot can reduce possible sources of the "floating" ground and make it easier to identify source of problem. (recovering engineering type)

Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
NewbieDodge
Amateur

So i have a little more time to dig into the problem further..

1. Unhooked the Electronic Ignition Module an all associated wires within that harness. Unwrapped it to find no broken wires to the bottom of the steering column.

2. With harness unhooked and Ignition feed fuse pulled.. #11 on the junction block.. still have everything not shutting off.

3. Isolated it to the BLK/WHT wire that goes from the IGN to the junction box behind the drivers door.

this wire OR junction box is getting shorted to voltage would be my guess..

Going to get out the multimeter and see if im getting voltage at the ignition wire with the fuse pullled.. I bet i do.. then more time for wire hunting..

Any of this sound right?

@ZMAN.. thank you for the pics. and for the most part the diagram is the same. Ground points are atleast.

Its not the CTM that is causing the problem that I can tell.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 PM
NewbieDodge
Amateur

So after a day of tinkering the situation looks like it has gone from bad to worse. After unwrapping 90 percent of the wiring harness.. its butchered. Miss color wires clamped together.. wires leading nowhere in particular..

After having all the wires unhooked.. mainly the ignition feed wire.. (black and white on the ignition switch) it gets full power at all times with the fuses out of the junction block behind the drivers door and the fuse pulled under the hood of the truck. I tried to isolate things that would have full battery power at all times..(power locks, alarm?..headlights) none of these made a difference with there respective fuse pulled.

Im pulling my hair out here!! any ideas/advice?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Grab the service manual for your truck from the FAQ section here.... (you want the 01 manual.) Good wiring diagrams in there, that should give you a leg up on figgering this one out.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 PM
NewbieDodge
Amateur

I have the service manual & a print off of a Mitchell a.k.a On Demand 5 (or any other name its under) wiring diagram..

I could understand power at the junction box behind the door with the fuse pulled but not with the fuse pulled at the PDC.. thats the 50 amp main ignition fuse.. I pull that fuse and i still get 12v on that damned wire.. (blk/wht)

Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, two wires on the C1 are powered, Pin 4 pink/black wire, and pin 7, red wire. One of those may be shorting to the output wire..... or, crossed/spliced somewhere in your rats nest.....

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
NewbieDodge
Amateur

So after being frustrated at the truck/wiring problem I decided to start taking fuses and relays out of the PDC. All of the fuses were out except the 50A battery fuse and everything is still on. except for the corresponding fuses that shut off wipers ect.. I took out the main wire block and looked for corrosion, broken pins, ect.. nothing..

PDC? Internal short?

Yes.. when I take out the 50A batt fuse everything shuts down

Old 10-02-2011, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

More than just the wipers are powered off that 50A fuse, but, if pulling the wiper fuse makes them stop working, then your short needs to be in the circuit before the fuse.

Quick Reply: All things electric