2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cam options/more HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 AM
71dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam options/more HP

was looking at hughs web site for my truck. i want a cam in my truck? now when you put a cam in does it screw over my computer? and what would be the biggest lift cam i could get and leave the motor prety much stock except headers that ill put on? i really dont wanna screw with the intake or anything like that because if thats the case i have a 500 hp 440 6pak motor ill put in it. i just want maxumum HP out of my 360.. what are the best cheap mods? keep in mine the motor is getting exhaust with no cat headers. hughs plenum plate, timing chain, (hopfully a sct tune) water pump and possibly a cam? what other cheap effective mods could i do?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Doing a cam isn't a mod I would consider "cheap"..... you really can't do a lot there without requiring a custom tune, and/or better valve springs/locks/keepers. Installing the Harland Sharp Roller Rockers in a 1.7 ratio wouldn't require any modifications at all, they would just bolt right on. No custom tune required either. They give the same affect as putting in a bigger cam, without all the additional work. Changing the cam is going to require pulling the intake.......

Another question becomes, where do you want your power? What do you use your truck for?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam is not cheap. The manual states that you SHOULD change your lifters with the cam swap, even though they are roller lifters.

A cam is 350 bucks, and I would get one from HERE:
www.hi-potek.com

Plus the tune: 365 dollars. This is necessary!

1.7 roller rockers AND a cam is not wise. Get the 1.6 roller rockers if doing a cam. Aftermarket Cams are specifically designed to produce power for 1.6 ratio. You put a 1.7 ratio on there and you can run the chance of the cam LOSING power. More is not better in that case.

AND changing the cam will require not only taking the intake off, but also taking your radiator off, tranny cooler, and taking your AC off the front of your truck. As well as your water pump, timing chain, thrust plate....

I would recommend:
1. Plenum fix and SCT tune
2. 1.7 roller rockers

If you only want to get one, get the tune. You will gain more from the tune than you will by slapping on 1.7 roller rockers with a stock tune.

NOTE: Installing 1.7 rockers is not like installing a bigger cam. You don't get any extra duration or LSA change. You only get about .28 inch more of lift. So you go from .41 to .439 inch lift (intake).

Last edited by CPTAFW163; 09-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Adobedude
All Star

You can run 1.7s with a cam, I did for years, you just have to get the cam gound for them, or pic a cam that won't cause problems with a higher rocker ratio...Some notable builders say it's better to get some of the lift from the rockers than only relying on the cam...The cam needs to be ground for the rocker ratio. FYI The shaft mounted Magnum Rockers from Hughes are 1.72, if I was keeping my Magnum R/T heads on the 408, I'd buy those in heart beat, they won't work on Eddys.

My 248/252 576"/.584" cam was ground for 1.5s, it's the 1.6 Rocker I use that gives it those specs. This in my Dakota, but same motor as our 360 Rams.

But, as others have said...Cam isn't cheap by any means.

You could use your stamped steel rockers with a cam but you'll give up some HP due to friction and your pushrods will have to be dead nuts on..Not an easy task.

So you'll need:
Cam.
Adj Rockers.
Valve Springs, and retainers. stockers are too weak
SS Valves, higher spring pressure can snap the heads off the two piece Magnum valves.
Double roller timing chain, if your in this far, replace the chain.
Gaskets.
SCT tune.
Cam degree kit unless you have one. Gotta degree the cam in, especially if you are going to advance it, my cam is in a 104º.

No wonder my Ram is still stock.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
71dodge
Professional

see i just want more hp and power. eventually i plan to turn my truck into a strict show truck. and i want the lop of a cam and that sound you get. my old truck had a 502 lift and it was a unforgetable sound. i just want more hp overall..

Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by 71dodge
see i just want more hp and power. eventually i plan to turn my truck into a strict show truck. and i want the lop of a cam and that sound you get. my old truck had a 502 lift and it was a unforgetable sound. i just want more hp overall..
*Banging head on desk*

Read the above posts...You can't just drop in a cam and call it good, lots of parts need to be changed/upgraded....We have pretty much told you everything you need to know...

Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by Adobedude
*Banging head on desk*

Read the above posts...You can't just drop in a cam and call it good, lots of parts need to be changed/upgraded....We have pretty much told you everything you need to know...
hahaha, he was talking CHEVY.

SBC = cheap upgrades
Mopar Magnum = EXPENSIVE upgrades

MY ADVICE:
1. Rip out the engine, tranny, and PCM
2. Install LS1 and tranny
3. Looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrykiHuSKYw&NR=1
4. Performs like this: Meh, 14 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ne1EVt_zY

If you are just doing it for a show truck, swap the magnum with a carb SBC and get a 280 duration camshaft. Take out all AC and other junk.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
71dodge
Professional

damn, thats a sick little dodge. i wanna keep it all mopar though. do they sell a big block swap kit? i have 600 hp of cammed and tuned 440 sitting on a stand just waiting lol

Old 09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Dropping in a big block would require some fab work. So far as I know, there is no kit to do it. You would be on your own there.

That said...... I really wouldn't mind doing the LS6 swap....... might even get better gas mileage.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 71dodge
damn, thats a sick little dodge. i wanna keep it all mopar though. do they sell a big block swap kit? i have 600 hp of cammed and tuned 440 sitting on a stand just waiting lol
Find an old Duster/ Valiant/ Charger etc.... in descent shape to pop that motor in. Why waste it on a truck that is just rotting around you.