2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help Setting Up Exhaust (Y-Pipe, Cat, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Setting Up Exhaust (Y-Pipe, Cat, etc.)

2001, 5.2l, 4x4, ram 1500, Mass. emissions

Well after doing my plenum fix I want to re-do the exhaust from y-pipe back. I know this question has come up alot in this forum but I still can't figure this out...

I want to get a new y-pipe, magnaflow cat, I already have a 2.5" si/so super 44 muffler (not installed), and I want to dump the exhaust just before the rear axle. I just want better flow and a good+loud sound.

I know magnaflow has a direct fit cat and y-pipe set up, but I also don't have $650 to spend. I was wondering if I could buy just a y-pipe like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-40235/ and then buy this magnaflow cat http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/94309/10002/-1
The walker y-pipe is only 2in outlet though so wouldn't that be as restrictive as stock? Can I get a link to a good one? I've seen the jegs offroad ones but they don't bolt on and I can't find any flanges that could be welded to the end.

I wanted to get this but I can't tell if it would be less restrictive/high flow and sound good with a super 44: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-50536/Application/?query=Year|2001|Make|DODGE|Model|RAM+1500&prefilt er=1
Are walker cats any good?

Can anyone lead me in the right direction on how to get the set up I want w/o spending $650 on a magnaflow kit? I just want less restrictive y-pipe + maganflow cat but other input is welcome--Much appreciated.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Since you live in Mass. http://www.louscustomexhaust.com/ no better place in New England.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I think I'm decided on the $230 Eastern Y-Pipe and Cat from rock auto p/n 20394 (it's direct fit)
They say they're high flow and the pipes/cat are 2.5" I think... 3" magnaflow cat would be better but I really can't find a bolt on y-pipe to go with it, and I don't wanna pay to have a custom y pipe put on.

Anyone have an objection to eastern exhaust products?
Are they really hi flow--will they make my exhaust sound better/louder like a magnaflow would?

I haven't found many people complaining about them in any forums, so it seems good to me. Plus a 5yr/50,000mi warranty sounds good as well.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
I think I'm decided on the $230 Eastern Y-Pipe and Cat from rock auto p/n 20394 (it's direct fit)
They say they're high flow and the pipes/cat are 2.5" I think... 3" magnaflow cat would be better but I really can't find a bolt on y-pipe to go with it, and I don't wanna pay to have a custom y pipe put on.

Anyone have an objection to eastern exhaust products?
Are they really hi flow--will they make my exhaust sound better/louder like a magnaflow would?

I haven't found many people complaining about them in any forums, so it seems good to me. Plus a 5yr/50,000mi warranty sounds good as well.
Bolt on y pipe to go with a magnaflow cat: $144 on jegs
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...31020/10002/-1

You can get a magnaflow cat 3 inch SI/SO anywhere for under 100.
So, you will basically pay the same price for magnaflow.

ALso, there is no such thing as a bolt on Y-pipe. You will have to weld the catalytic converter on. Basically about 70 bucks of labor at the exhaust shop.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Cptafw, It says ram '94-'99 only. Mines an '01. Would it still connect to my manifold (my exh. manifold pipe is 2" and so is that ypipe but idk if they'd line up)? The picture of that y pipe doesn't look like it's the same shape but maybe I'm wrong. It's fine if I have to weld a cat in, I'm having someone do it for me anyways. That y-pipe u linked to is the one I want, but none of them say they fit to '01 exhaust.

and the spot where'd you'd weld the cat on is a 2" pipe...would I even be able to weld 3" magnaflow on there/would there be a downside to go form 2" pipe to 3" cat to 2" pipe?

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 10-01-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the 99 and 01 are the same. Check the parts manual in the DIY section and see if it differentiates exhaust for different year model. Don't think it does.

Last edited by gdstock; 10-01-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gdstock
I think the 99 and 01 are the same. Check the parts manual in the DIY section and see if it differentiates exhasut for different year model. Don't think it does.
I know they are different exhausts. 94-99 is different from 00-01. That's why I was asking if it would even work out.

How do off-road ypipes differ from regular aftermarket ones? I don't need one specifically for off road if that matters.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

The off-road y-pipes don't have a cat. (that's why they are referred to as "off road", not just for the Off Road edition of the dodge trucks.) At all....... If you have to have one where you live, you can get the pipe, and get a 3" SI/SO magnaflow cat to splice into it.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

UPDATE:

Just installed the Eastern high flow cat and y-pipe and it sounds pretty good
Had no trouble with getting the y-pipe to fit on, so far it's holding up.
The cat was a little more of challenge only because the hanger attached to it didn't exactly align correctly...a little torching and bending fixed it.

The stock cat vs. the eastern with no muffler, the eastern is definitely louder.
I'm pretty happy with it. Just have to wait to get the muffler (super 44) and the side exhaust set up and it'll be finished.

And driving down the road a bit, I could definitely feel a difference in power after shifting into 3rd gear. Because my trucks not running to potential (small plenum leak+maybe other problems) it was, and somewhat still is, losing a good amount of power especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th...but the new cat/y-pipe definitely helped to gain some power from what I can tell.

So to anyone looking to getting this cat, I'd say go for it. It sounds very to close a magnaflow and will likely add some power. My friend had a super 44+magnaflow and my truck sounds just like his did.

...and if my phone can get some good audio, I'll upload a vid and post it here. (with and without the super 44)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are only like 3-4 companies that make the ceramic plates that go inside these Cat's and Eastern and Magnaflow are identical from what i can tell.

Catco uses a different company and i'm not sure about walker; but seem to be the same.

Quick Reply: Need Help Setting Up Exhaust (Y-Pipe, Cat, etc.)